Rutland Cramps on offer again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
So after the farce of the last offer with many of these clamps sent back by members of this forum, the offer is on again. There did seem to be one or two people who found them OK but many more with problems. The thing is that I have £50 to spend as a Christmas present and 4 1200mm cramps for the price of 1 bessey K cramp of the same capasity still seems pretty good value.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DK2012/4PACK

Does anyone know if the faults have been rectified? The general consensus last time was that Rutlands were let down by there suppliers with the problems being defects in production. A few weeks down the line, how do those who bought working cramps find them?

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

I saw something on the australian forum where a large order was placed by an individual with Bessey and I assume discount obtained, the members then split up the consignment. The order was placed with Bessey in Germany from Oz.

I got 8 first time round. They took 4 weeks to deliver. When they arrived the boxes were broken and 7 feet and one clamp were broken. I sent the feet and broken clamp back over 2 weeks ago.
I was also pretty disappointed with the quality of the clamps - they feel cheap and the plastic is of poor quality when compared to the Besseys.
This thread prompted me to chase Rutlands and they have again sold out and my replacement clamp is on back order.
The clamps are not on order with Rutland's supplier either.
I'm therefore sending my 7 good ones back for a full refund and will buy Bessys in dues course, which is what I should have done anyway.
This is my first, and probably last, Rutlands order. The only good thing about the experience is that Will on the phone in customer services is easy to talk to and helpful.

I got four 600 mm clamps in the last offer. They were useless so I sent them back. I later received a set of metal plates to repair said clamps, even though I'd sent them back, I guess they don't talk to the people in the returns dept. Having seen the items first hand, my opinion is that they are just under half the cost of the equivalent Besseys at a lot less than half the quality. I'd give them a miss myself. I replaced the returned Rutlands cr*p with Bessey UniKlamps, because I needed them in a hurry, and they are ok but I still wish I'd saved up for K bodies.

p111dom":q4he4g6w said:
Does anyone know if the faults have been rectified?

Yes, or it was rectified for me. :) I didn't send mine back they sent me a replacement parts for every one I bought, half of which were ok anyway. The parts were sent weeks ago :? so no problems with mine now.

Cheers for the feedback. So the second question is can anyone beat the D&M deal for 1250mm K cramps at £36.50 inc vat? If there are any dealers out there please respond. If you fall foul of forum rules then send me a PM. They're £43.18 at Axminster.

p111dom":189dxu55 said:
Cheers for the feedback. So the second question is can anyone beat the D&M deal for 1250mm K cramps at £36.50 inc vat? If there are any dealers out there please respond. If you fall foul of forum rules then send me a PM. They're £43.18 at Axminster.

D&M have the best prices that I have found (apart from the Axminster 1/2 price deal some months ago), though I'd be delighted to find a cheaper source.

Damn! missed a half price sale at Axminster :evil: Love the service at Axminster but they don't seem to match their competitors when they have an offer on. Would rather buy form them but not at the expense of cash. Even bessey direct are selling them for £38.32.

http://www.besseytools.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=173

Come on Axminster do the deal again for Crimbo!!! [-o<

Dom your link to Bessey Direct is owned by MAP UK the same company that own www.tritontools.co.uk and John is a member here. I wonder if he could sort us out a Crimbo discount :lol:

On the other hand another member Richard@Axminster works you know who :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":26mc8wz6 said:
On the other hand another member Richard@Axminster works you know who :wink:

That's who I was aiming for really. I was just being more subtle :whistle:

I just received 4 900mm ones that I ordered weeks ago when I heard there were problems with the quality.

Two of the little plastic feet were cracked, but who cares

Although I had to wait I got them at the original price and there is nothing wrong with them. For less than £10 each I cannot complain

I would certainly buy more

Hi guys PM me with your exact requirements and ill put together a deal for you! I will be as keen as i can. As its nearly christmas..... :shock: The more clamps the better it will be for you!

Hi guys PM me with your exact requirements and ill put together a deal for you! I will be as keen as i can. As its nearly christmas..... The more clamps the better it will be for you![/quote]

Why not give us your best prices for all the different models so we can see how keen you really are!! (you may get more business than you bargained for!!) I can also do the wife's christmas shopping for her!!

:? Unfortunatly i cant go through the whole range and do this so i need to know whta you are looking for. :lol:

Well I finally succumb to temptation and this morning begrudgingly ordered a quad set of 1200mm clamps from Rutlands. Really needed them for a job this morning so just had to take the plunge. With limited funds due to the time of year, plus the fact that no Bessey rep seems to be desperately forthcoming with a deal I just couldn't help myself. Hopefully all the niggles have been fixed and I'll post the results when they arrive. [-o<

Well they turned up this morning which was pretty sharpish. I've checked them all over and given them a quick test and I think they're pretty good value. There are a few niggles. As said by other they don't exactly glide along the bar. The long slot washers do protrude too far making them unstable when laid on a bench. Someone said they were going to file them down a bit. I'd like to see how that works out. The spring for the locking mechanism is a bit strong and I think reducing the length of the washers/lever won't help the situation. The plastics are a little on the flimsy side and the no mar rubber cheeks don't go all the way down to the bar. That said they are very heavy and substantial. Here are some pics comparing them to the cheaper bessey uni's

drawers-178.jpg

drawers-179.jpg

drawers-180.jpg

There are a few two places where the ridges are there but are not as defined as on the rest of the bar. I've tested clamping power over these areas an for now at least it doesn't seem to be a problem. I think I will glue a little wooden foot to the bottom of the stationary jaw to eliminate the stability problem rather than file the washers down. The pin on the positionable handle as said by others does seem to be a weak spot but there's no stress on this pin if the handle is left parallel with the bar which is how I would normally use them.

Over all a pleasant ordering experience from Rutlands with this order and at 4 clamps for the retail price of 1 bessey K body I think they are definately worth the money. :D

Back