Rusty little eggbeater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro

Established Member
Reaction score
I've eventually made s start on restoring the tools I bought last weekend. Well, maybe not restoring but at least making them usable! First up is a rusty little eggbeater that I can't identify.

It all came apart easily with WD40, just requiring the mole grips to loosen the chuck.

All the small bits were dumped into a solution of vinegar and salt for a couple of hours to remove the rust. While that was doing it's magic I mounted the large wheel in the old 3 jaw and spun it up with some wet and dry and wire wool.

Next up is the body if the drill, but this time held in place with the live center

Both came out nicely and I even managed to save some of the paint :)

I forgot to take pictures of the small parts when they came out of the vinegar but, needless to say they were black and filthy but came up beautiful in shiny after a rub with wire wool.
Everything went back together easily with a few drops of machine oil. I applied danish oil to the wooden parts and waxed the metal bits that don't move.

So, now I have a useable little hand drill. Can anyone recognise the make?

Looks like the first drill I ever used ....the first pic not the later! :lol:
I think it was a go-cart I was making, or something more static!
I remember we had to use a 1/2p coin under the jaws, but the reason why escapes me. :-k
Kudos for the refurb, looks like a Stanley clone, but not an officianado on the subject.
Enjoy it anyway, tools like that often pay unforeseen rewards.

Rob.

Ah, hand drills - one of my favourites. I have, um, a "few" smaller examples (and in other sizes, but let's not go there...), and without exception they're silent on the name of their manufacturer. Dunno why, but there it is. Very frustrating. So many makers opted for red paint on the gear wheel too, which doesn't help any. Always satisfying to get one back in working order though; nice job.

I have one of those eggbeaters and often use it when slow, accurate or very small drilling is required. I love the Archamedes screw drill too...that has always intrigued me...

Kids eh!?

:wink:

Any restored tool is a good thing in my books...I hate tools being abused.

Jim

jimi43":12ao618p said:
I have one of those eggbeaters and often use it when slow, accurate or very small drilling is required. I love the Archamedes screw drill too...that has always intrigued me...

Archimedes drill are often used where VERY high accuracy is required, since the vertical driving force has no tendancy to move the drill out of position, unlike the crank of other drills.

Just for completion, bow drills also have vertical drive:

http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/sil ... drill-C63/

BugBear

Latest posts

Back