Running on air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Although there is only a very small amount of wood involved I thought I would post these couple of videos for the engineers and at least one fellow model engineer amoung the membership.

I started this project at least 15yrs ago and have worked on it on & off as the mood takes me. It's a 1/12th scale traction engine all made from unmachined castings, bar, rod, tube and plate although I did have the boiler professionally made and the gears cut.

Started first time on 20psi of air this morning and have been running it up and down the workshop floor (need a longer air hose :) ) will now strip it all down for painting then get some small lumps of coal and try it on steam.

Sorry for the poor quality, the auto focus was getting confused by all the moving parts and photobucket reduces the quality as well.

Ticking over

in gear

Jason

Nice one Jason. :D

I love traction engines, live steam, so much power without spinning at 1000's of rpm. 8)
And then you get the smell of the coal, smoke and steam oil, oops slipped in to old fool mode! :roll:

Jason

I remember the original articles in Model Engineer!! Excellent outcome, always great to see the bits rotate under their own air/steam. The best bit is when the coal goes on and the oil heats up..

Bob

Excellent Jason,

Ah the smell of hot oil and steam, colliery winding engines, steam locos,

Memories Memories. I don't think I would have the patience or the skill to try anything like that.

Alan =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Very nice :D

Years ago (about 25 years ago..) I had a Mamod model steam engine - steam boiler,meths burner,forward and reverse...thanks for bringing back the memories.

Andrew

Back