• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Ruined

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I am ruined by this forum. I have just bought a 4 ½ Stanley plane I don’t need at a sale for £5.
A bit grotty but on closer inspection I suspect it may be a 16 made in the USA in 1933 - 1941. It has Bailey at the front made in USA behind the frog a Rosewood front knob. The handle is much later and broken. Rust is only surface from splashes. Blade is Made in England and thin as is the cap. I liked the look of it....so much better than my 60’s chrome lever cap with the chrome coming off. Perhasp not so bad after all.

Attachments

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks the same as mine but mine cost me £5.50 so I feel cheated

I notice the angle lever behind the blade is swung right over - I have to do the same

Does you frog sit off square as well ? mine does hence the adjustment

EDIT: Hang on, mines a 4 - sorry

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Very promising indeed I think. The 4 1/2s are not so common so a good find. I am personally a massive fan of the US Stanleys, and I reckon that one of yours could be got back to excellent fairly quickly. Cannot guess what the blade may be like, but I suspect a Quangsheng from Workshop Heaven would transform this plane... amazing blades, excellent steels, and bargain price too. Well bought!

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
A very good buy, I got mine from a bootsale in similar condition, fettled it and its a joy to use.

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help and thoughts.
A preliminary clean up shows it to be in good nick and I will not do much other than re-assemble it, a new handle, and a new blade from Workshop Heaven. I have glued up the handle and straightened the screw rod and will try the present beech one first just to see how it is. Getting happier by the muinute A bit of fettling will also not go amiss. Best wishes.

Now where is the next tool sales about?......ruined, ruined..........

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit late as it sounds like you've already done all this, but here's the before and after on my 4 1/2 showing that a rough-looking plane can often be entirely sound:

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
That is very sympathetically restored Andy. The tote looks excellent too. I may need to seek out an old US Stanley 4 1/2 now. I have a Record SS but my Stanley line-up is missing this one (and a No1 of course - I'll manage without that one, or the 2 for that matter).

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
It's old enough to have Rosewood handles; I think I just gave them a light clean with very fine wire wool and wiped them over with boiled linseed oil. I always aim to remove neglect but keep the signs of natural ageing.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy, talking of 'old', I was showing jimi43 (Sputnik these days) my US Stanley No 6 today. I am still researching this one, but the v early ones had American beech handles (walnut is considered 'modern' :lol: ).
It's easier to date the mainstream ones (the 4s etc) but I strongly suspect this is a really early No6, maybe around 1882. To think: 17 years after the end of the Civil War, and around the time Billy the Kid met Pat Garrett for the last time. I hold that plane with care, reverence... and a quiet reflection.
Nowt at all wrong with a well-made Bailey in my own humble opinion.
That's it of course, on the hunt for a US Stanley 4 1/2 now. Addicted??

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Now then Douglas there's a very predictable response to a forum post like that. SHOW US SOME PICTURES!
(And let us know if it was one of Jim's boot fair trophies or whether you are shopping in more conventional places. )

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
OK Andy, I think this one is worth a post... I'll get some pics done, maybe a few here can help date as it has an unusual screw fixing for the knob, no frog adjuster of course (new fangled things) and the S mark for the casting. Wait and see :D

Latest posts