RP DML36SH - NOISY!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've had my lathe for a few months now but noticed since day 1 that it seems to be rather noisy. I havn't paid much attention to this as I thought this was how it was supposed to sound!

Anyway, I'm a little concerned that it shouldn't sound so noisy. The noise is constant and doesn't change pitch when speeds are changed. I have listend carefully and the noise seems to come directly from the motor itself rather than the bearings in the headstock.

Could someone please give me advise if they have the same lathe regarding the following:

Is this sound normal from this lathe?
Would a bearing change etc. help?
Should I remove the motor cover and have a good clean out?

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

is it a brush motor or an induction - the former are always noisy, and being a budget model it wouldnt suprise me if that was the case with yours

Hi,

I would suggest checking that the pulley wheel things are properly secured to the shafts that they run on. They are (both?) secured with a little set screw thing - but you need to make sure that you remove the first set screw completely (this is just to keep the bottom one tight), then tighten the lower one to hold the pulley to the shaft, then put the upper set screw in and tighten that against the lower set screw.

Of course I can't be sure that this is the issue you have, but it sounds like it could be. Apparently if they have run loose for a while they can damage the shafts and never go tight agains (although this wasn't the case when mine needed tightening). I would certainly recommend you check it anyway.

I have always found Record Power to be very helpful, so if you don't make any progress I suggest you give them a call.

Cheers,

Dod

Hi Skeetiods,

Dod is right, its probably the double screws on the pully set that connect to the shaft. Hapenned to mine ( over two years ago )

There nothing budget about the build of DML's by the way !!!! - they are solid machines. The local scholl have a whole set of them and they are working soldi for years, by the students, and the nightschool classes.

I also know of several pro's that have bought RP for classes.

L

ps - the noise isn't right - i can bearly hear mine when its on.

Back