Union Jubilee advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StilwellDesigns

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought an old Union Jubilee lathe, and was hoping someone out there has some knowledge of these old machines.

Firstly, what is the best way to change speeds? Right now I'm having to loosen the two bolts holding the motor down, lifting it up and locking it off, then changing the belt on the pulleys, then lowering the motor again.
Is that the correct way to do it?

Second, what is the correct tension for the belt?

It seems to be overloading and tripping if it's too tight, but then if it's too loose the work keeps stopping, I can't seem to find the sheer spot.

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated!

Umm, .... I have a Union Jubilee and the way to move the belt, is to press the foot pedal at the base of the main vertical column. This lifts the motor up on its pivoted platform and loosens the belt tension. You push the pedal sideways to lock it into a ratchet, which holds this position. After you have adjusted the belt from above, you push the pedal sideways, in the opposite direction, Releasing it in this way re tensions the belt with the weight of the motor.

If you have no obvious pedal, then maybe someone .has tinkered with the lathe and fitted a different motor?

It's a very good lathe - so, best of luck with your endeavours.

Umm, .... I have a Union Jubilee and the way to move the belt, is to press the foot pedal at the base of the main vertical column. This lifts the motor up on its pivoted platform and loosens the belt tension. You push the pedal sideways to lock it into a ratchet, which holds this position. After you have adjusted the belt from above, you push the pedal sideways, in the opposite direction, Releasing it in this way re tensions the belt with the weight of the motor.

If you have no obvious pedal, then maybe someone .has tinkered with the lathe and fitted a different motor?

It's a very good lathe - so, best of luck with your endeavours.

Foot pedal!

Hmmm.

I reckon it's been tinkered with - I'll have a look tomorrow and post some pics.

20230309_212200.jpg
It came with the original poster tho!

I have one no foot pedal on mine either

I used a small bottle jack to assist in lifting motor and support metalwork for changing speeds

I upgraded mine with variable speed, came to me with a 440V 3 phase motor changed it to 3 phase 240 V motor and inverter didn’t need to change belt pulley with that

I found it to be a good lathe but now upgraded to a Graduate and swapped the motor over, I’m teaching myself to turn but getting better and quicker and to be honest didn’t really need to change for what I do at the moment but hoping to do more complicated heavier stuff later on

Sounds like your motor is knackered - or you need to have a look headstock bearings if stiff perhaps - the weight of motor should be enough

The Jubilee is up for sale at the moment.

I see your in Chichester - so am I !!

I have had a few Jubilees and never had the foot pedal-I think that is a modification rather than standard fitting. The weight of the motor and the base plate is usually enough to tension belt. How old is the belt that is fitted they can harden with age and as said above have a look at spindle/bearings.
Can you get hold of a tachometer and see what speeds it is actually running at and how it reduces under load?

I have had a few Jubilees and never had the foot pedal-I think that is a modification rather than standard fitting. The weight of the motor and the base plate is usually enough to tension belt. How old is the belt that is fitted they can harden with age and as said above have a look at spindle/bearings.
Can you get hold of a tachometer and see what speeds it is actually running at and how it reduces under load?

So when running, there are two bolts holding the motor in place, do you keep those loose or let the motor take up the slack with its own weight and then tighten them off?

Belt is of unknown age, so probably knackered.

The maintenance poster mentions turning the grease caps, I seem to be missing one on the right?
Does a normal grease gun fit these?

Attachments

• 20230310_083545.jpg
    20230310_083545.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I am also missing one of the grease caps. I just use a small grease gun. It does ooze out of the bearings if you are too heavy handed. :) I did look to replace the missing cap - though not sure if I you can still buy one with the correct thread

Last edited:
Just swap grease caps over to make sure both sides are lubricated. They can be bought from the steam engine sites but are expensive. It ok as long as you have one to push the grease in with
Have you found the owners group on Facebook?

Just swap grease caps over to make sure both sides are lubricated. They can be bought from the steam engine sites but are expensive. It ok as long as you have one to push the grease in with
Have you found the owners group on Facebook?

Just looked the facebook page up and I asked to join, thanks for that!

If the motor is a 440V 3phase Y motor an electrical motor repair shop can take it apart enough to change a few wires around making it into a 240V 3phase 𝝙 motor that you can run off a 240 single phase to three phase VFD. A good industrial electrician can do the same if you know one. Residential wire tuggers, not so much. Then you have a lathe that you can change speeds with the turn of a dial instead of belts and the pulley arrangement you use now. At most you would switch the pulley to start working with a big, heavy or out of balance blank to get the most low speed torque, changing to back when the roughing work is done.

Pete

I just bought an old Union Jubilee lathe, and was hoping someone out there has some knowledge of these old machines.

Firstly, what is the best way to change speeds? Right now I'm having to loosen the two bolts holding the motor down, lifting it up and locking it off, then changing the belt on the pulleys, then lowering the motor again.
Is that the correct way to do it?

Second, what is the correct tension for the belt?

It seems to be overloading and tripping if it's too tight, but then if it's too loose the work keeps stopping, I can't seem to find the sheer spot.
Some years ago I refurbished many of these Jubillees. I can assist you if you will call me on01902 743973 Derek

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated!

Back