Routing odd-width housings for veneer MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
Am considering a bookshelf project using veneered mdf and notice that say, 18mm, is 19mm when its veneered both sides.
How do you rout housings for this? As far as I can tell 19mm cutters aren't available, or do you have to use a 19mm jig and make two passes per housing?

This may be obvious but I'm a doofus when it comes to routing so apologies if its a daft question.

Marko

Have a look at Ron Fox's tips on the Wealden web site.
Or this http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=344. You will need to calculate the effect of the offset though to get your 19mm.

The best of all in my opinion is that described in Roy Sutton's book and DVD "Jig Making for the Router". I don't have picture of it but something similar has appeared in many books and magazines.

BradNaylor":20mc2qtv said:
Use Dominos instead?

I always use this method myself now.

Another way is to cut the housing with whatever cutter you have 16 or 18mm etc and then cut a small shoulder on the edge of the veneered mdf using a hand router with a fence or a router table to the depth of the housing. This can be blind or done both sides.

Cheers

Jon

Back