Routers/Router Tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SisterSeagull

Reaction score
Hello... I am looking at enhancing my (very small) workshop with a router table and router. I already have a Bosch POF1400n ACE but would really like something smaller and lighter. How does the Makita RT0700CX4 rate? Some of the reviews seem pretty good and Makita have a good reputation (?) Anything with a quarter inch shank will be ideal as it is only for light DIY and toy making (this is my venture). As a relative beginner, I have also looked at a cheapish router table made by Charnwood.... How do these rate as they are really quite cheap!

Any help/suggestions will be gratefully received!

Steve

Router tables range from a board with a router affixed, clamped half on/half off the workbench [overhanging] to some beautifully made workstations with gizmos a-plenty, you can spend from nothing to a lot. If you're just dipping your toe you might prefer to be frugal until you know you're going in the right direction, having said that a solid router table will make a versatile enhancement.

IMHO your router is at the lower end of the power range with regard to router table suitability. It will work, but you may later on wish to upgrade in terms of power and shank size, to deal with larger diameter cutters. Of course it depends on your specific requirements.

Is this the one you're looking at?http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/charnwood-bench-top-router-table-1?cid=20

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

the makita gets great reviews, but is not suited to a table- it is idea as a small handhelf one though, which is what it is designed as.

Why not use your existing bosch in a table (is this what you are actually suggesting?). as long as you are not using large cutters, it will probably do the job ok.

SisterSeagull":29u0ltg9 said:
How does the Makita RT0700CX4 rate?

Hi, the Makita is mentioned frequently around here, put this search into google and you'll find a few relevant threads:
site:www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums makita rt0700
I have one I'm very happy with, but I use it exclusively for rounding. As a general purpose machine you might want something a bit more powerful, the Trend T5 is my weapon of choice at the next level up.

Thanks for the welcome!

Monkeybiter... And there was me thinking that 1400watts was toward the top of the power range!! I'm not too sure that I'll ever need to go up to 1/2 inch shank size as virtually everything I shall ever do will be on the smaller scale and yes, that is the table that I am considering. I have read a few reviews that don't rate it; some say that the phenolic mounting plate has a tendency to bend under the weight of the router once attached. You can't please all of the people all of the time but, as you said, it might pay to go for the lower end of the market and see how I get on with it.... Is it also correct that the range of profiles for 1/2 inch cutters is much greater than it is for the 1/4 inch machines?

Marcros... The reason that I am after a separate router for table use is due to the fact that the Bosch machine doesn't have a lockable on/off switch. Is there a gadget on the market that could be fitted to the router that would keep the power switch permanently depressed? I must admit as well that I was surprised that table mounting wasn't covered in the Makita marketing video for this machine.... It's a shame really as it looks like an incredibly versatile machine.

pcb1962... Many thanks for your suggestion of the Trend T5... I shall have a look at one of these this evening!

Thanks again everyone for extending to me the benefit of your collective experience!

Steve

Latest posts

Back