Routers - Big Triton versus Little Triton.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
Last night, i explained to SWMBO how I'd be needing a new router if I'm going to make a patio table and chairs :) - I've already got a 1500W B&Q cheapie which is fine when it's the right way up, but height adjustment is an utter pain in when it's in the router table.

I'm rather taken with both of the Triton routers since they seem to be well thought out for table use with easy height adjustment and through-the-table bit changing.

The question is.. which should I get... Thus far, 1500W has been plenty of power for everything I've ever done. The little triton comes with teplate guides which would be useful to me... The big triton has more grunt but costs 50 quid more. -

All opinions greatly appreciated (including non-triton options).

I too, would like to hear more about the pros and cons of both these and some of the smaller 'handheld' brands.

Fecn,

I think the general consensus is that the big Triton is brilliant for table use, but a bit top heavy for handheld. However, I don't have the big one so I can't comment from experience.

I do have the small Triton though, which I thinks is the dogs proverbials. Very good handheld and excelent inverted. I don't run large panel raising bits though, so have never come across a lack of power.

Argee is the one to talk to about this.

Argree is the Triton man and his web site might help because he reviews both models http://www.raygirling.co.uk/workctr.htm

I only have the larger TRB001 so I cannot comment on the smaller model, but if I had to choose one, and most of the time it would be used in a router table, even though it is heavy for hand use, I would go for the bigger one. Because IMHO, it being heavy is a worth while trade off to be able to use the bigger router bits.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2fhym4x7 said:
Argree is the Triton man and his web site might help because he reviews both models

I've just read both of Argees reviews (pretty sure I've read them before too), and I'm leaning towards the little one at the moment due pretty-much entirely to the extras it comes with.... but a set of template guides probably shouldn't be enough of a reason.

I have the large version and as said for in the table it's brilliant. However a colleague of mine has bought the small one and if you want flexibility and handheld I would certainly consider it. He bought it for kitchen worktops, his own, not trade and has done some test cuts which worked absolutely fine. Many would say if you want to do this on a trade basis then it's probably not quite man enough, but if you take your time for the odd few it is more than adequate and easy to handle. As for putting the small one in a table it would handle most jobs fine but as mentioned panel raising could be questionable, again for the odd few it may just be feed rate would be critical.
The more experienced well informed here would be able to say if this lack of power in these circumstances could be dangerous, I'm not sure I would like to risk it. I use a Freud for handheld but would not hesitate to buy the small one if needing a new one.

Cheers Alan

I have both, and the big one is the best router I have ever used in a table - I can't fault it for table use. For handheld use it isn't ideal.

The little one I just do not get on with. Handheld and with the springs in, its adjustments feel very clumsy - I hate the rise and fall and lock mechanism, which is fine when the springs are out and the thing is inverted in a table, but I just can't get on with it handheld.

It is also quite weedy, in stark contrast to the big one which is a beast and feels like it has more power than its spec. The little one is the reverse - it feels like it falls many more than 350 watts short of my CMT.

The truth of the matter is that there is no substitute for raw power. If I had to give up one of the two, I'd keep the big one. I've never found it a problem hand-held (especially with the metal base fitted with the majority inboard), although I know that some find it a little more difficult. The reason I bought the smaller machine in the first place was to use on my Leigh D4 dovetail jig - for which it's perfect. It certainly will do kitchen worktops, etc., but - just as you'd expect - you need to take sensible, smaller bites at it. I've used a large panel-raising bit in the smaller machine - again, smaller bites gets the job done.

The through-the-table height adjusting handle on the smaller machine is - in my opinion - un-necessary, as the existing height adjustment capabilities are fine on their own, plus you're often down at table height anyway when adjusting, so it's no big deal to use the in-built rack and pinion/fine adjuster mechanism.

Bear in mind that the guide bushes are Imperial, not metric. You'll need to buy a 30mm guide bush if you want to do worktops, whichever machine you choose. The easiest way round this is to fit a Universal sub-base which takes metric bushes - you could do this quite cheaply, although you will probably need four longer 1/4" UNC screws to attach the base. HTH

Ray.

Well, I've made my decision - I'm going for the big Triton - Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and comments - Thanks Argee for your reviews - You're right, there is no subsititure for raw power, and since I'm a big bloke, I reckon I'll be able to control it if I use it out of the table too.

I PMed Jockey and he offered me one at the right price which I'll be collecting next weekend. That means I can get myself a set of template guides and probably some extra cutters too :)

Argee":lrpx0a8v said:
the guide bushes are Imperial, not metric. ............

............you will probably need four longer 1/4" UNC screws to attach the base. HTH

Ray.

I've always had the impression (possibly wrongly) that Australia is a country that has embraced metrication with a fervour, so I would love to hear an explanation as to why they chose to apparently abandon it in favour of imperial threads and sizes when Tritons were designed. Anybody know? (or have I missed it in an earlier thread?)

Mark

Mike.C":2m39ul5t said:
Well done mate, you will not regret it. Thanks to Jockey and B&Q. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Jockey seemed unable to sort out a time/place/date for me to collect, so in the end I got fed up of waiting and ordered from dm-tools. Arrived today... I now have a big grin on my face.

17092007092.jpg

Cheers,

Fecn.

Fecn,

Jockey seemed unable to sort out a time/place/date for me to collect, so in the end I got fed up of waiting and ordered from dm-tools. Arrived today... I now have a big grin on my face.

Oh well mate as long as you got one. I see you got the template guides too :lol:

Have fun with your new toy.

Cheers

Mike

Back