Router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a woodturner, but am being slowly seduced by the desire to make some flat stuff (watched too many episodes of NYW with Norm making cool stuff) :shock:, I'm putting some (mostly rubbish) kit together and want to get/make a router table, nothing too serious (money wise) but functional. Basically I have found 3 choices,something like this all in machine, which although easy may be a bit small/rubbish long term, or a table like this with my own router in(I have a rubbish power craft one or a makita 3601b fixed base one) or attempt to fashion my own table?
I don't really know which to get/do, so any advice would be much appreciated.

i would use your makita and make your own table. The 2nd choice is not a bad option, but I would avoid the first one.

I started with a MFC kitchen shelf with my router screwed on and a length of 2x2 for a fence, worked well enough.

Pete

Thanks, I thought that may be the case with the first machine. I am going to put my table saw into a 6x4 foot moveable table so maybe i can mount my router in one end of that and then I can make one double sided fence for both tools? Although the holding options of the table I linked with the mitre track and feather boards are very tempting so I may still get that...

I made a simple router table the other day for my makita. Wrote a thread on the general section called "quick router table" with pictures, probably on third page by now. Two bits of ply 2'x4' and some screws took all of 15 mins to make.. The table uses routers own fence, it's really useful, grooved and rebated 8 drawers on it this afternoon.

I'd avoid the first choice also... and I know I bought one similar, once your router is clamped in place and table fixed to a base to stop movement there is very little room to gain access for changing the bit... it's just not an easy thing to do, so much so I stopped using it after quite a few tries.

Make your own table would be the best option.

One of the issues you need to resolve is where are you going to keep all the bits and pieces that belong to the router table. If you have the room build one with drawers to keep your bits, spanners, fences, jigs and of course extra routers. A large table will also double as an assembly table or even a saw table extension. Mine is shown below.

Back