Router table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a router table in the next few weeks to house the shiny new Axminister router elevator SWMBO got me :D. I've done my homework on the forum and looked up all the previous router table build threads and I think I'll probably build something along the lines of Martins table https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/router-table-wip-t18155.html?highlight=router table.

I have a couple of sheets of 18mm MR-MDF to build it out of but I'm struggling with the top. I've been down my local DIY shed to price up a sheet of fire back and my jaw hit the ground when I saw it was £25! I've got some old kitchen worksurface kicking about but I would have rathered mount the plate in ply or MDF rather than chip.

Any ideas?

£25! I paid £40 for mine.

At £25 I'd go for it, its the most important part of your table. Just make sure when you glue it on you get the glue into an even layer so you don't get any bumps.

Ah, ok. Perhaps I'm being a little bit tight. In that case I was thinking of making the top from two layers of MDF with fire back on top. The MDF would be titebonded together and I was thinking the fireback would need contact adhesive (that's going to be fun to spread). Does that sound about right?

I'm a little concerned about the top moving due to uneven lamination, some people seem to have had problems others have had none.

Its also said that you will need to laminate the underside for balance, a bit like when veneering. The other problem is sag of the table from the weight of the router and insert plate - the table needs to be thick enough to resist this but thin enough that you do not lose huge amounts of depth from the cutter - hence the common usage of an extreme extension or similar. Not sure if this sag is real or imaginary though as I have not noticed it personally.

Steve

Think you were just lucky with Homebase. I looked before making my table and they were £25 and £35. I went with just a bit of kitchen worktop. Not too big a job to replace it if ever necessary. So far so good.

I suspect you got lucky too Bob, I can't see mention of laminate at that sort of price anywhere on their website.

Unless anyone comes up with a really cracking suggestion I think I'll probably go for some of this Tufnol 1P/13 Sheet 1200 x 600 x 2mm http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/TufnolSheet/1P13/2mm/. It's cheap enough that I can put a sheet top and bottom. I think I'll probably get a third sheet as well for fences etc.

While we are talking about router table tops what do people recommend in terms of tracks? I was toying with the idea of making my own by routing out a stepped dado and screwing on some aluminium bar to create a T section. Anyone tried this?

wobblycogs":1ctxbhws said:
Ah, ok. Perhaps I'm being a little bit tight. In that case I was thinking of making the top from two layers of MDF with fire back on top. The MDF would be titebonded together and I was thinking the fireback would need contact adhesive (that's going to be fun to spread). Does that sound about right?

I'm a little concerned about the top moving due to uneven lamination, some people seem to have had problems others have had none.

Thats exactly what I did, I tried to buy some stuff that people linked to on the forum, it turned out to be a type of plastic that was un-glueable and I wasted tons of money on glue trying to stick it down. Just go with the fire back and save money elsewhere.

wobblycogs":3l1sxzld said:
Unless anyone comes up with a really cracking suggestion I think I'll probably go for some of this Tufnol 1P/13 Sheet 1200 x 600 x 2mm http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/TufnolSheet/1P13/2mm/. It's cheap enough that I can put a sheet top and bottom. I think I'll probably get a third sheet as well for fences etc.

Or you could go the whole hog and use the PTFE that they sell for a really low friction surface... You might have to screw it down rather than glue it down as it seems to be very hard to stick, but it would give a slick surface.

The thought occured to me but PTFE is as good as impossible to stick down and I'm not sure the budget stretches to a sheet that is thick enough to screw down.

You won't go far wrong with tufnol.

Trend used to market a table and fence made from 10mm Tufnol for use with the Router Rack. If you wish. I will try and get a picture of it; give you some ideas.

Have you checked the price of 10mm sheet aluminium? Might be about the same price.

I enquired of Tufnol Manufacturers, and they told me you should use Araldite to glue the stuff, if you are laminating. Methinks you'll need a lot of araldite... So the thicker the Tufnol the less likelihood you'll need to laminate anything.

John :)

PTFE is not a good idea. It is very soft so might get grooves in it and if deforms easily so you will get a raised area around each screw hole.

Bob

I checked out the prices of aluminium sheet. A 1.2mm sheet would be about the same price as 6mm Tufnol so I think I'll go with the Tufnol. Getting a 6mm sheet of tufnol should make fitting the router insert easier as it is also 6mm thick (fingers crossed they are both the same 6mm :D)

wobblycogs":1h81ezwa said:
I checked out the prices of aluminium sheet. A 1.2mm sheet would be about the same price as 6mm Tufnol so I think I'll go with the Tufnol. Getting a 6mm sheet of tufnol should make fitting the router insert easier as it is also 6mm thick (fingers crossed they are both the same 6mm :D)

If not, it won't be a great difference. You could shim up or down with masking tape, as I had to do!

The other answer is to buy enough material to make your own insert from the same sheet.
:wink:

John

Hes got a fancy router lift so he doesn't need a plate.

I didn't balance my top and its been fine.

If anyone wants a roll of that PTFE stuff I have a whole roll of it.

wobblycogs":1l9xaniv said:
I have a couple of sheets of 18mm MR-MDF to build it out of but I'm struggling with the top. I've been down my local DIY shed to price up a sheet of fire back and my jaw hit the ground when I saw it was £25! I've got some old kitchen worksurface kicking about but I would have rathered mount the plate in ply or MDF rather than chip.

Any ideas?
Hi, nice to know that my thread has been use to someone, as far as the top goes, if you were going to use kitchen worktop, I would advise you to seal the underside or make sure there is a sturdy frame to fix it to, the top is the most important part of your router table, if you do like i did and use mdf covered with fireback you won't regret it, most of my work is done on the router table and that incra jig has been a godsend.

Good luck

Back