Router Lathe WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just started putting a small diy router lathe together from a set of plans I drew up in sketcup if anyone's interested in seeing few photos of the build.

!Router Lathe.jpg

Router Lathe02.jpg

Router Lathe03.jpg

Router Lathe04.jpg

Router Lathe05.jpg

http://www.seafax.co.uk/index.php?id=router-lathe - my forthcoming web page about it

[youtube]kfSScCSpbpA[/youtube]

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 13e1ab484e - the sketchup plans for it

Col.

Attachments

• !Router Lathe.jpg
    !Router Lathe.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 2,672
  • Router Lathe02.jpg
    Router Lathe02.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 2,664
  • Router Lathe03.jpg
    Router Lathe03.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 2,664
  • Router Lathe04.jpg
    Router Lathe04.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 2,663
  • Router Lathe05.jpg
    Router Lathe05.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 2,669
this shows up a problem with sketchup, I have a 32 bit machine and all of the later drawings are for 64 bit, they will not load. Nothing lost in this instance just a quirk of sketchup that is a PITA.

Possibly a bit of a cheat but I have always wondered whether bicycle sprocket sets and chain would provide a quicker more precise solution - wood gears would need cutting with quite high precision.

Would need an idler wheel to take up any chain slack depending on ratio selected and forward/reverse. Also need to do some sums to see whether one could get the range of ratios required.

Terry

Wildman":3c1k6gfz said:
this shows up a problem with sketchup, I have a 32 bit machine and all of the later drawings are for 64 bit, they will not load. Nothing lost in this instance just a quirk of sketchup that is a PITA.

I wasn't aware of that or I might well have stuk with 32 bit. As you say that's a right pain. Sorry!

Terry - Somerset":slalp5mt said:
Possibly a bit of a cheat but I have always wondered whether bicycle sprocket sets and chain would provide a quicker more precise solution - wood gears would need cutting with quite high precision.

Would need an idler wheel to take up any chain slack depending on ratio selected and forward/reverse. Also need to do some sums to see whether one could get the range of ratios required.

Terry

I enjoy working with wodden gears anyway but I looked at cycle sprockets when I started and couldn't find anything inexpensive that would have given me the required 20mm to 400mm range change.

Walney Col":tbzr7hwt said:
Wildman":tbzr7hwt said:

I wasn't aware of that or I might well have stuk with 32 bit. As you say that's a right pain. Sorry!
It did eventually load so no worries maybe just a glitch on my system.

Terry - Somerset":2wyubwe4 said:

Terry
The job they are employed for in this instance wooden gears are plenty accurate enough. Cutting them is quite theraputic and quick compared to cutting metal gears which I do regularly. a sketchup print out glued to the wood makes it a simple task. It is one of the great things about sketchup. I should really get into it one of these days. The trouble is I seldom draw anything and work direct from my head, hee hee.

Will be following this build with interest – I downloaded the Shopnotes router lathe plans, but this looks better! Will download your Sketchup file later.
A router lathe is definitely on my to-do list (not really sure I need one, but I find them fascinating)

Simon

I started working on my own plans after having bought the shopnotes ones. For me not being able to choose what direction the spiral goes in made it a non-starter but while messing about with that I also added a wider gear range plus profiling/copying capability and I have quite high hopes of it. Funny you should mention not being sure you have a use for one because my only real interest in tables (or any other furniture for that matter) is in making the machine itself. :-/

Col.

I've finished enough parts to start assembling it now so I've made a 10 minute video just to let folks know that progress IS actually being made! :)

[youtube]b3psajRT8QY[/youtube]

Col.

Part 2 of the router lathe build is now ready to watch and deals with determining the locations for the gear mounting holes on the gear carrier.

[youtube]LYALo7OAss4[/youtube]

Col.

Latest posts

Back