router extension collett or a longer bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartypit

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, I have attached my router to the table, but the bits do not extend far enough to use. Should I buy an extension device , and if so, where would be a good place to get one? Also, I have been given a Bosch 5oow router with a missing colett. where would I get one of these?
thank you in advance for your help!

jane

Jane

You should be able to get a new collet from a bosch dealer, Assuming that your router takes a 1/2 collet then you need to get the Xtreme Extention, the address below will take you to them, I think I paid about £50 when I got mine, I kmnow a little expensive but well worth the money.
www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/ - 13k

What sort of table top do you have and how is the router mounted to it? If the router is attached to an insert plate, then you probably do need a collet extension. If, on the other hand, it is screwed to the bottom of a slab of kitchen worktop you will be losing about 30 mm of potential depth of cut. If the latter is the case you would be better investing in an insert plate as even the best collet extensions can lead to excessive vibration, resulting in poor results.

thanks George
I have a Jet router table and the router is attached to a plate, so wouls an extension be in order? but at £49 wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a new router that fitted better? I am hazy about routers as I've never used one..I've been taught to do everything by hand, and so I'm not even sure what I'll be using the router for!! I won't be cutting dovetails with it, all I can think of are grooves!!

Jane

Jane,

Try Wealden Tool Company's web site.

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Collet_Extension_55.html

They have 1/4", 8mm and 1/2" collet extensions at £32.90 for the two smaller sizes and £45 for the 1/2" one. Postage is normally free and their stuff often arrives next day (even out in the wilds of Aberdeenshire!) if I order before lunch time.

I bought the 1/2" one a few years back for some of my shorter and small diameter cutters and it works fine although I'm a bit wary about using it with a large diameter cutter because of the extra sideways forces.

If you need an extension to get the bits high enough, then you need an extension, BUT there was one (not sure what make) that came with my Elu 177E, and the only time I tried to use it, the vibration was terrible. So I suspect you may need to check for this, and be prepared to send it back if you have any similar problem.
Mine is still lying in a drawer - anyone can have it for the price of a pint and the postage.

hi Dickm

could i take you up on your offer of sale? it may at least help me resolve the problem.
let me know if thats ok
jane

Don't worry Jane, you'll soon find other uses than just grooves, trust me! 8)

Digit":3i21n10t said:
Don't worry Jane, you'll soon find other uses than just grooves, trust me! 8)

I can seccond that Jane. I would be lost without my routers in my shop as I use them for so many things. I think you will be surprised at just what you can do with one and a few jigs once you get the hang of it. Also with a router table the world is your Oyster so to speak. :wink:

Latest posts

Back