Router collet extensions. Already tried 2 of them ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 1/2" collet extensions in my garage and both of them have problems.

The one from Axminster (must have been dropped) vibrates something awful and I am scared to use it :-(

So I purchased another one from Rutlands. Whilst that one seem balanced it does not have a double release, so when you try and get the bit out they are always jammed solid and I have to give it a wack with a piece of timber.

So I am now thinking of buying another one. Now this one http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technologi ... B000EXQ2FA is top of my list and I wanted to get any feedback or suggestions for another make if others exist

Thanks

The amazon one looks good, but with the clamping system opposed to the collet variety, doesn't that mean its going to be ever so slightly off centre?

I got the Dakota variety from Rutlands, no good either. No double release but the securing nut is 30mm wide! I wrote a long and detailed review explaining why a 30mm securing nut was a real pain, to my surprise they didn't publish it! lol

I ended up getting one machined from some fancy 16mm steel. Much better, works a treat and no retaining nut! :)

Higon":3u6zb44g said:
The amazon one looks good, but with the clamping system opposed to the collet variety, doesn't that mean its going to be ever so slightly off centre?
Never thought of that, but the reviews seem to indicate it's not a problem

Higon":3u6zb44g said:
I got the Dakota variety from Rutlands, no good either. No double release but the securing nut is 30mm wide! I wrote a long and detailed review explaining why a 30mm securing nut was a real pain, to my surprise they didn't publish it! lol

Haha. Sort of defeats the point of having reviews if they then censor them

FWIW I have the Axminster extension in my router table and it performs flawlessly, I like the option of different sized collets too [i.e. to use all of my cutters] Like you say, maybe yours was dropped.

I've used the Xtreme Xtension since it was available from Woodworker's Workshop and think it's brilliant. Just posted in another thread about it in fact.

I use it with a Trend T11 in a homemade router table.

Peter - I've bought a few things from Woodworker's Workshop before - are you the new owner - or was it always you? You didn't have a website last time I looked - but that was some time ago!

Thanks

Gidon

I have a CMT from screwfix and was less than impressed. Bought it, used it once after a few months and it vibrated badly so havent bothered again.

gidon":yp4trzh6 said:
I've used the Xtreme Xtension since it was available from Woodworker's Workshop and think it's brilliant. Just posted in another thread about it in fact.

Peter - I've bought a few things from Woodworker's Workshop before - are you the new owner - or was it always you? You didn't have a website last time I looked - but that was some time ago!

Thanks

Gidon

Hi Gidon

Roger Phebey previously owned Wood Workers Workshop and when he retired 18 months ago we took over the business from him. We merged it with my own online tool shop based from my furniture school.

The web site has been growing along with the range of American products we carry. I am in contact with Roger most weeks he still helps us out on occasions. Running the tool shop has it's own set of challenges quite different from furniture making and teaching.

Pleased to hear you like the Extreme Extension, Roger managed to get some great products in his range.

Cheers Peter

gidon":23kmac32 said:

Thanks

Gidon

Another vote for the XX and Trend T11, a great set up for table use.

Cheers, Paul

Another vote for the Xtreme Extension here. I have had it for a few years now and it is fine. I use it in my table with a Hitachi router. You have to follow the instructions for making sure it is in balance by rotating it in the collet but once set and marked it works fine. I do like the quick change of the cutters. :wink:

Thanks Peter - thought it was a Roger I used to speak to! Glad you've kept his products going - trouble is I'm now dangerously browsing your range of Incra and Woodpecker!

All the best with it.

Gidon

gidon":yiloas40 said:
Thanks Peter - thought it was a Roger I used to speak to! Glad you've kept his products going - trouble is I'm now dangerously browsing your range of Incra and Woodpecker!

All the best with it.

Gidon

Thanks, keep browsing. We are working with the suppliers and bringing more products across each month including METRIC :shock:

Cheers Peter

Back