Router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.

Reaction score
Am currently in the process of making a router sled so I can flatten two slabs of oak I’ve been drying for a while. However the only router bit I’ve got which would be capable of doing this is very small in terms of diameter, ideally I’m looking for about 2” minimum, preferably 3” but I’ve looked on all the major websites and can’t find anything suitable. If anyone has any links I’d be grateful.

TIA

It shows it's not suitable for use in a hand held machine....
And quote......
"For solid surface materials, Corian, Avonite, Vericor, laminated plastics and insulation boards. Ideal for skimming plastic/Nylon vacuum beds on CNC Routing Machines."

I certainly wouldn't recommend using them in a handheld machine as that'd be just plain daft. Secured in a decent router sled however with fairly light cuts there shouldn't be much to go wrong, I've definitely seen them used before.

In a hand held tool, you will be limited by what actually fits in your router.
The tri wing (or more) router cutter is one of the nicest cutters to use. I have a 1/4" shank one that's about 25mm dia and was using it to flatten a small piece of burl elm just yesterday. Cuts were nice and shallow and the piece of timber only secured with double sided tape to a waxed board. I would expect a 50mm version on a 1/2" shank would be manageable.
I think having chamfered corners on the cutter really contributes to the handling.

If the router is in first class shape then the bit does not need to be huge.
I had a 22 mm bowl smoother bit in a router sled that gave excellent results. But when that cheap old router died and I put the same bit into another machine I got tram lines everytime.
I put the same bit in another bigger newer router and got babysbum smooth again.

The wobbly router is out of use in the corner, cant even sell it.

Back