Router bits, buy cheap buy twice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At about £1.50 each, where most Wealden bits are at least a fiver, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that they're probably not good enough to use.

Better to buy bits as you need them, I would say.

The thing with router cutters is they are lumps of sharp metal spinning at 30,000 RPM they do break from time to time. I want good quality so that the time to time is less frequent. My choice is Wealdon, some Trend and CMT. Price is a secondary consideration.

Jmac80":y3akbnwe said:
what's the general thoughts on packs like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... 1_6&sr=8-6

Buying a big assorted box of poor quality Chinese router bits seems to be standard operating procedure for new router owners. However, experienced router owners only ever buy good quality individual bits on an "as needed" basis. The smart move would be to leap up the router learning curve by ignoring the Amazon set and shopping at Wealden instead!

Good luck.

phil.p":39gx9l05 said:
Trend do a set of 15 that you can get for about £45 that is excellent value. I've had one since they were £30. As above most of mine are Wealden bought as I've needed them over the years.

+ 1 For above, Trend sets as above are sometimes on "special" and really cheap,
The first set you linked to are ok, but you would only use about 4 or 5, so not really good value!
Regards Rodders

I bought the same Router and a set of 30 Trend bits for about £80 at the D&M show last year. Personally I like having a set as I don't always know what I am going to want when.

I might be a contrarian voice.I have bought a couple of sets of fairly cheap cutters and the quality has been better than I expected.The downside has been the selection of cutters I have never used.I have also found the Axminster own brand cutters to be quite good,with the caveat that the bearings on the trimming cutters soon gum up-they can be revived by a splash of WD40 though.

I recently bought some straight silverline bits from toolstation, £3.00 or so. I bought them for a door lining that needed rebating and was covered in nails. Surprisingly the bits cut well, despite having the tiniest tips Ive ever seen!

So the set probably will cut fine, the reviews on amazon certainly agree. I wonder though whether you would be buuing a set you may never use!

You cant go wrong with Wealdon tools.

Well, I never have much "play" money, so often have to buy cheap.

I've had two of the generic cheap sets of about 8 cutters and so far they have done well.

As Robin above, i also tried silverline for a couple of guided trimmers as they were sacrificial for testing, again they are still working well.

Having said that, I've never had the luxury of trying a wealdons one.

If you are talking about the Trend SS9 set then this is a bit cheaper than the £45 quoted. Though to be clear I have neve bought from these guys so can't testify on customer service, etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-SS9-X-1 ... 5d599614c3

Advice I received was to buy a set like that, then as they need replacing buy higher quality individual ones, the order they need replacing in will tell you what you need most.

Terry.

The cheap cutters I have used have always been OK - for the money. The are not as good as Trend Pro or CMT but much much cheaper. When I started I got my router and a box of 12 cutters which served me well for a very long time then as I needed new ones I replaced them with better quality ones if I could afford it or with cheap ones depending on how much use I expected to get. I really can't justify £15 on a cutter that'll be used for one project then sat doing nothing when a £6 one will do the job just as well.

So yes, buy cheap buy twice, but remember even expensive ones do not last forever.

If you are just starting out and keen to start using your new router it'll be quite frustrating to be restricted to a handful of cutters that you had the forsight to buy. For the sake of £30 or whatever the sets cost I'd eat the cost, get a set, get routing and then learn what I use most as I progress.

There is always a case for weighing up the usage against the cost. I bought a set of four for £4 because I needed one particular cutter for two feet of tiny moulding. I bought a 1/2" core box from Wealden that's first job out of the box was ninety six metres of full depth cut. I wouldn't expect the cost or the performance to be the same.

Wizard9999":1s9x5jn0 said:
If you are talking about the Trend SS9 set then this is a bit cheaper than the £45 quoted. Though to be clear I have neve bought from these guys so can't testify on customer service, etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-SS9-X-1 ... 5d599614c3

Advice I received was to buy a set like that, then as they need replacing buy higher quality individual ones, the order they need replacing in will tell you what you need most.

Terry.

Thanks Terry
Just ordered that set to get me started.

Depends on what you are doing.
I've found cheap cutters to be a fools errand and given I'm making instruments it makes sense to get decent cutters so I don't end up ruining a lovely piece of hardwood.
Your application might not be the same though.

I've using these spiral cutters at the moment and they are absolutely brilliant.
https://routercutter.co.uk/whiteside-rft5200

I always buy them in pairs so I have a replacement if necessary.

My word, James, they're not cheap, are they?

I don't want to start thread drift, but as a slight aside, is there a satisfactory way of sharpening roundover bits?

Latest posts

Back