Router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenpoodle

Reaction score
OK guys I'm thinking of buying my first router and want some advice. I'm a first year Apprentice joiner and am looking for something that will help me shape some timber, cut mortises and rout out hinges! I was set to buy a Dewalt 625 as I have used it before and seems to do everything that is asked of it. Reading through the forum though a lot of guys seem to rave about the Katsu. How does this compare and not really knowing my router bits how will a 1/4 inch fare? Any other recommendations?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

If you are going to use this for your apprenticeship you will need a 1/2" router to be able to use any meaningful bits IMO, the Katsu as bought by most of us on here is a supplementary router to our main 1/2" machine and will not be capable of keeping you going through your apprenticeship using just 1/4" bits.

If you are a bit strapped for cash have a look at the Draper Expert router: http://www.drapertools.com/product/5311 ... 30V-Router I was impressed enough that I bought a second one, would give you a head start and its not too heavy.

A bit more expensive than the Draper is the Hitachi MV12E but a real bargain, I have been using one in my router table for four years of very hard work without a missed beat: http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?opt ... 0wod9asNFw

Mike

If you are doing joinery for a living I suggest that the DeWalt is the tool for most jobs. I have one which was a replacement for an Elu that served me for over twenty years, the DeWalt is every bit as good. Any 1/4" router will do for edge trimming and small jobs but you will be trenching stair strings and other heavy work which will require professional levels of power. The cost of a good machine is peanuts today compared to the first one I used (not owned) in the sixties when they cost about a months pay for a joiner.

As the other guys have said you'll want a 1/2" for a lot of the things you'll probably be doing. If you do Kitchens for example. Also you can use 1/4 bits in most / all 1/2" routers but not the other way round.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Triton TRA001 as well as the DeWalt 625. I'd also suspect you'll quite quickly decide that a Katsu is a worthwhile purchase as it would be a perfect trim router. The Katsu is about £40 if I recall so not a big expense.

I have a Triton in my table and a Festool OF1400 as my handheld router - I love it but it's a bit more coastline than the 625. I did consider the 625 for my table but opted for the Triton which is not something I've regretted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutchboy":20p37d7x said:
Just got a Katsu, will see what its like over the next few days! £40 seems too good to be any good
It really does. What are you using it for?
Appreciate all the input guys

Small ones like that are ... small. There is a limit to what you can do with them - most things a small router does a large one can only it might be a bit clumsy, but a large one will do heaps that a small one can't. Personally I have both but started with a small one - when I lent it to someone I never saw again I bought another, we are not disputing their usefulness just saying the large one will prove more versatile. If you insist on going for a small one try to find one with 1/4" and 8mm - 8mm bits are stronger and often the same price as 1/4".

Mike Jordan":1zh03gdb said:
If you are doing joinery for a living I suggest that the DeWalt is the tool for most jobs. I have one which was a replacement for an Elu that served me for over twenty years, the DeWalt is every bit as good. Any 1/4" router will do for edge trimming and small jobs but you will be trenching stair strings and other heavy work which will require professional levels of power. The cost of a good machine is peanuts today compared to the first one I used (not owned) in the sixties when they cost about a months pay for a joiner.

Not so long ago as that, but I paid £180 for my Bosch in a sale in 1991. It's still going, it's a beast.

I have a 1/2" Makita that I bought in the early eighties that's still doing the business today. I recently replaced it as my #1 router with a 1/2" Hitachi MV12 soft start - what a joy to use. I have a makita trim router for the light duty work, it handles all the 1/4" stuff. The HD work is passed on to the moulder.

Thanks guys got a tax rebate yesterday so when the cheque clears I'm going on a shopping spree! First on the list will be the Dewalt.

I have an old 1/2 Makita that is built like a tank and just keeps on going and going. I also have a smaller 1/4"/3/8" Makita, which again has never missed a beat. If i were in the market for a new 1/2" one, i think it would be the Hitachi.

Agree the Hitachi MV12 is the best value 1/2" router you can get IMO.

Mike

Hey Greenpoodle, it's not cheap but I highly recommend a Trend T11 for a 1/2" router.

It works really well in a table too as you can adjust the height without crawling around under the table.

Whatever machine you buy, I have to pass on the best tip I've received in these forums....

Get your router cutting bits from wealdon tools, https://www.wealdentool.com/

They are superbly sharp and made such a huge difference to my work.

I had a katsu delivered on Sunday, wow this thing is small, my last 1/4" router was a very old B&D that after 30 odd years ate it's bearings (they'll get replace at some point), that was small, this is tiny. it's ideal for small stuff, no way is it enough for being my only router though, for that I've got a 1/2" titan from screwfix (also got a silverline, but that name is not liked on here), for the price it's great, it's fitted a few kitchens now and been mounted in a table and used for edge planing happily (this is where the silverline now lives).

if you can afford, get both a 1/2" and the katsu, for template following it's perfect.

used in anger for the first time yesterday. needed to cut a few keyhole hangers, haven't got a keyhole cutter so plunge cut with a 10mm bit, swap to a 4mm bit to cut the slot, back to the 10mm and flip it over to cut the recease.

worked flawlessly, really impressed with this little Katsu.

I have a trend t11, I found it too big and cumbersome for some hand held operations, it lives in my router table and is great.

I have a draper, couple of different bases, still big but more manageable than the trend.

I have a katsu it can't do everything but it's the handheld router I use for preference when a 1/4 bit can do the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back