Router Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphidius

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot for this or not but anyways.........
I am a complete newbie to routering and I want to put a roundover finishing edge to a curved piece of MDF which runs into a small straigh section at the beginning and the end of that said curve. Can this be done and if so how....without breaking out or cutting into the straight sections..please advise....maybe a dumb question but I'm only a hobbyist trying to learn some routing skills.
Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and help in this matter which is highly appreciated.
Regards
C

You probably need to show us a picture of the curve shape - do you mean something like a headboard shape?

Roundover bits generally have a bearing which runs against the edge of the workpiece, so you should be able to follow any shape.

Sorry its probably like I should have done this before assembly (of the grandson's proposed toybox) please excuse I am a novice.
Its the top arch I would like to round off slightly to get a nice finish before sealing and sanding.
I'm useless I know compared to the experts on here but am willing to learn...
any help appreciated or alternatives to what I'm suggesting
Regards
C

Attachments

• Pre sanding stage 1.jpg
    Pre sanding stage 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,102
That should be fairly easy. The bit has a bearing which follows the existing edge and you can do all of that with a fairly small and inexpensive router - one that takes 1/4 inch bits should be fine. You can get bits in all sorts of sizes, you want to look for the correct radius of cut for the size of the rounder you want.

RB-8I-2.jpg

Because of the direction of rotation of the bit, you route the outside edge in an anticlockwise direction around the workpiece. You could do all of the edges of that bench, even the relatively tight curves.

Wealdens recently released a new series of bearing guided round over bits called "arris bits". They have a slight flair leading into the round over which makes set up much easier and accommodates any tiny rocking during the routing process without leaving a nasty witness line behind.

I've been using them for a few months now and they're an excellent item of tooling.

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/On ... g_964.html

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up custard. I use roundover bits a lot and will give them a go next time i buy one.

As for the toybox, if you just want to do the top curve of it, i would attack it with sandpaper of varying grits until you have the desired effect. If you want to do more and have it for future projects, then a small bearing guided router bit will do the job. I would advise however that you read up on router usage before you start as they are very unforgiving if you get it wrong. Practice on some scrap pieces firmly clamped until you get the feel of it. There are some good advice pages on the Wealden site that custard linked to.

Back