Round the Twist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Watched the three part video on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Thought I would like to have a go at that so went to B&Q and bought three wood rasps. Found a small piece of 2x2 spar 8 or 9 inches long rounded it and marked it up in a similar fashion to the video I wanted a straight spiral not a cone
so I drew 4 horizontal lines and 5 vertical lines then joined up the squares.
see below

Ran a tenon saw over the spiral lines then started with the rasps, after about 3 hours I was ready for some finer files to smooth it out a bit another 1 hour later I started to sand it, I sanded to 240 grit then called it a day gave it some sanding sealer and a quick rub with Briwax and ended up with this.
I found it quite easy to make but very labour intensive between 5 and 6 hours all told

Dont know what to do with now that I have made it probably chuck it in a drawer.
Just wanted to see if I could make one
Phil

Phil

You can speed things up by using a mini arbortech and microplane files rather than just the rasps. Another way is to get decent rasps and no the B&Q type. You'd probably find those on the Classic Hand Tool site.

Latest posts

Back