Round american oak table WIP moving on at long last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob H

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my next project I am starting Its for my own kitchen Its going to have a turned center leg with 4 feet and a 3' round top that will extend and take a extra section and thats about as far as I have got as design goes and planning as this int my strong point! I have searched every were for plans and have not found any I like so if any one could help me it would be appreciated!

This is as far as I have got up to now

I got all the wood yesterday
014-1.jpg

this is the wood for the leg 7 1/2" wide 3" thick and 3' long
017-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

the wood for the top is 10 1/4" - 3" - 3'
016-1.jpg

015-3.jpg

I have planed up the wood for the leg and glued it up now so its sat in lots of clamps but I forgot to take picks of it glued up
021-1.jpg

If I carnt fined any better plans than the ones I have seen I will get then and adjust them to my liking the main thing I dont like about the ones I have seen is the feet they are so plain!

Always best to work to your own plans, I reckon! Whoever cross-cut those boards needs a new blade in their saw.....

Best of luck with this one. I'm watching with interest.

Mike

Take care with stacking oak up on machine tables. I've got the stains to prove I got caught out by this once. Ironically it happened when I stacked all my cut parts in order to take WIP photos to post here!!

I was reading only recently (here?) that AWO tends to move quite a lot when cutting. Might be worth leaving an interval between rough cutting and final machining to size.

Good luck with the project.

Bob

well its all moving forward at last! I turned the leg some time ago now and that moved so I left it stood in the house 8 month! then split what was left of the glue joint and planed it up again and re glued it. Its all good and strong now so I moved on!!

015.jpg

023.jpg

Then cut a rebate on the top of the leg to take the top supports
175.jpg

then the frame for the top
159.jpg

162.jpg

160.jpg

then the top
152.jpg

174.jpg

then the slides for the top to work on I cut a dove tail in the center for a slide to stop it twisting when opening/ closing
171.jpg

172.jpg

170.jpg

169.jpg

the feet
181.jpg

182.jpg

then glued up to make them 3" thick
183.jpg

184.jpg

top fitting
176.jpg

178.jpg

feet fitting
189.jpg

starting to put it all together now and coating it with oil at the same time will put some more picks up as I go!

Coming together really well Rob, should be lovely when its finished. Lovely website your fiancees got by the way :D

yes blister it is a bit on the heavy side!! but that was the plan! it wont fall over!

I just keep doing a bit every day cos I am working 12 hour shifts every day till christmas!!

cheers for the comments guys!

Rob

Looking good. I notice no burning on the table top edges from the router. Is that because it did not burn or have you removed it?

I find it really hard to completely avoid burning so would be interested in any advice to prevent it.

Mick

MickCheese":2pdt2ra7 said:
Rob

Looking good. I notice no burning on the table top edges from the router. Is that because it did not burn or have you removed it?

I find it really hard to completely avoid burning so would be interested in any advice to prevent it.

Mick

That's just as it was cut I just took my time and only plunged 4-5mm at a time. I did get a bit of burn marks when I used the round over bit tho.

well its just about done all I have to do now is make the leaf for when its extended and its done! but that can wait till the new year now!
IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

all in all I am very happy with it there is a few things I could have done better but its too late now!lol! but to say I was making it up as I went along its turned out very well!

Like it a lot. Not having a lathe I'm not able to make pedestal style furniture, seeing this makes me determined to get one. Congratulations!

agree with the above comments - I don't usually really 'go' for this style of furniture but I really like this

maybe it's because it's so super chunky?

nice

Latest posts

Back