Rough costs calculation....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
We have a piece of sloping land that we would like to use to extend our parking area. I can see two ways of approaching this:
  • Build a retaining wall and fill up with rubble. The rubble is not a problem - there is plenty. Or actually it may be a problem because it may need to be moved before digging footings.
  • Insert vertical steels and build a platform off those. Or use brick pillars. My shared garage on the plot is supported on brick pillars.

Now, I do plan to get some quotes from good reputable local firms, but I was wondering if there was a way to begin to assess likely scale of costs before starting. If I measure dimensions and drops/slopes is there a way to get a ball-park figure so as eliminate the idea entirely as too expensive? Or should I just spend the time getting proper quotes?

Any suggestions would be welcome as I am new to this kind of thing. I would like to get as much idea as possible before talking to builders (so I can ask the right questions, give the right answers etc).

Thanks

Phill

I think a reputable builder would suggest options and the pros and cons.

Don't forget run off and drainage
The chap near me built a large garage into a left to right slope. Last summer was the first time in ten years the interior has not resembled a paddling pool.

Thanks lurker, but I think the options are limited - the ground slopes downwards from the road, so no cutting into the bank and no tanking required. To maintain a level with the road I will need to build up the land or support a 'parking deck'.

Part of my reticence to get a builder in is that I need to clear the land of brambles and such before it can be assessed. Easiest way is use brush killer when the weather warms up, so at the moment I am just trying to learn the possibilities and relative costs.

Back