Roll Cab Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpor4180

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Halfords Industrial tool cabinet and chest sets. Don't get me wrong, I quite like it and I keep all my motorbike related tools in there but I'm looking for another one to put along the back wall of my garage. Because you can't pay for them in magic beans, I won't be buying one for a while!

I can't help thinking that the design of these is quite simple. I'm looking for a big beastie along the lines of a Snap-On KRL with a butcher block work top that I can attach my bench vice to. Homebase does one along the lines of what I'm looking for but I just don't see it being worth 800/900 and the residual values on ebay of the KRLs on eBay are also very impressive.

So I thought about building one myself, after all it would just be a mild steel box section frame with quite a few cross members to cut out any flex that would stop the draws opening. Cover it in sheet metal, possibly riveted so easier to replace if damaged and then add the ball bearing runners, fabricate the drawers themselves (the most difficult section of the entire project as the metal will want to warp but the drawers need to be surgically square to stand a chance of working). Finally add the worktop off-cut and castors and paint it black.

So an expensive project for sure, but if done right could be very satisfying and would come out sturdier than Homebase's offering.

Anyone done it? There doesn't seem to be anything on the YouTubes about it but the internet has suggested apprentices used to make them as a project.

Now that is quite a good price and pretty much everything I'm describing, and costs about what I estimate mine would cost to build - except this one probably works

That said, it would be fun to make one myself wouldn't it?

Thats a mighty ambitious build. I think your final cost (after scrappage) would be much higher, and very unlikely to match the performance of the real thing.

I bought halfords professional units over ten years ago. They are used daily, and have needed ZERO repairs or maintenance.

have a look at this, you could buy this twice with the money you are thinking of.
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... net-bundle

Sounds like you've got the skill, you've got ambition, why haven't you started posting pics of the build yet !!! Have to agree with you, it'll be hugely satisfying and rewarding if you make one yourself - go for it !!
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Sorry for not replying to these, I am still learning this forum and haven't found a way to get notified when I've been replied to

Sunnybob in my original post I do actually have the exact same unit as you and I've had it a while too, don't get me wrong its okay but it's not wide enough like the KRL or similar units so this would be in addition to rather than in replacement of that

The one marcos linked is pretty much bang on but I'm still tempted to make it myself. At this point I think we're all agreed that it doesn't make the remotest financial sense to do that but the experience element could prove invaluable

It'll be by far and away the biggest single project I've taken on and will require me to really work on my patience skills - which is why I think I ought to take it on. I'm actually still working on my garage conversion, which I keep meaning to do a couple of posts/youtube vids on as I think it'll be quite interesting. I've had to dig a new trench to it, lay a new cable and install a consumer unit which is swallowing up the best part of £500

So along the lines of Coley, I think I will make it within the next year and I'll post up progress pictures

You are of course all welcome to tell me you told me so when all the drawers warp under the lightest tac welds and it ends up scrapped

Good luck! It's a big project and won't save you any money, rather like woodwork c.f. IKEA.
I looked at exactly the same scenario, build or buy (except that mine would have been plywood) and bought an own-brand from Costco. A lot of money, sure, but I think I would have spent as much on hardware and boards.
So it won't be a money saver, particularly, but it will be an enjoyable project, and assuming you make a good job of it (no slight intended!) you will have an heirloom.
But no pictures, it never happened...

Compromise?

Can you build a small chest with a couple of drawers first as a practice run? Sit it on top of your existing tool box. Might give you a better idea of what you are letting yourself in for?

Otherwise - give it a go. I'll order one when you've finished the first. 40% discount for forum members don't forget.

So I think I figured the notifications

Steve I think I'll do a youtube video on it. I'm trying to film my projects but so far I've been too lazy

Mike thanks for your link, how do those stand up? I need to build a workbench/assembly table/outfeed table combo which takes my Wadkin AGS and can be wheeled around. I'm thinking oak sleepers so the whole thing will be pretty heavy. It's going to be a 6 wheeler (tyrell p34 style). My concern with the rubber castors is flat spots. Do you have such an issue? I know if I leave my motorbike sat in my garage for too long I run that risk

Stanleymonkey there will definitely be some build up projects, that and financial constraints are the reason for shelving this for sometime later in the next 12 months. I think welded drawers are going to be a struggle and a half so a sensible small chest in the interim is an idea. My friend today has just bought a 110 defender so I'm going to gift him a little tool chest I think - he'll be needing it!

Big problem at the moment is lots of exciting ideas all at once

Hi, to be honest all i have used from them are the 50mm garment/speaker type ones, but the quality is good, i have used some 100mm castors from this company too, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Online-Castors ... p=10&_sc=1, the ones from this company i used are thermoplastic, but are very solid and the metal work is polished chrome which looks great but only has a 160kg per set capacity, for the weight you want/need you might be better with polypropylene castors as they can take in excess of 500kg per set, usually 160kg per castor,
HTH,

I don't know what, but for the drawers - could you get hold of some pre-formed steel "trays", and then make the rest of the cabinet around them?

Something like industrial baking trays?. Or shallow oil-drain trays?The drawers (as you pointed out) will prob be the fiddliest bit, and buying that particular component would save time, and possibly money?

Industrial baking trays is a shout, I thought about making a box section "jig" so to speak and clamping the drawer components round that for welding to avoid warp and get the 90 degrees all round

In my head the drawer base actually folds round with a tab on all 4 sides - I'll make a sheet metal brake for this, then the sides weld on and then a drawer front is added. Baking tray would negate the need for making such a complicated base, so I'll certainly look into that

To keep costs down it's looking like old metal filing cabinets, to get the metal and drawer slides

I gave my friend a comprehensive list of tools he might think about acquiring in the next couple of years to let him know what he needed but when I went round today to break his old car, he had just got them all delivered! Looks like he'll be needing a tool cabinet pretty soon. I like the industrial trays idea a lot and will definitely save time . I have never welded aluminium before so might blind rivet them, or is that cheating?

Good idea on robbing old filing cabinets for the runners etc.

Re cheating - is making life easier for yourself cheating, or simply sensible?

At any rate, please keep up posted!

You may as well just buy a cheap tool cabinet to be honest. Or just use an old filing cabinet

Back