Rocking Horse Plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTheMainMan

Reaction score
I've had a good search around the net for rocking horse plans. Planning to make one for my two girls, are the free plans you get on the net any good? Problem I see is that the info is very limited so allot will have to be made up as you go along (Which is no problem for some of you lot, but this will be my first woodwork project in 15 years, so bit rusty!!!). Plans to buy is quite expensive if coverted to our currency, but at the end I will probably have to bite the bullet and buy the plans.

Are you aiming to build a simple one (mainly planked from 2D shapes) or a fully sculpted one?

pid_12449-Amish-Furniture-Medium-Rocking-Horse--30.jpg

Or

classic-rocking-horse.jpg

BugBear

Hi Bugbear - Thanks for your reply, it will def be the simple one for now. That is a very nice one you have there, did you make one?

There is a really nice book by Anthony Dew called Making Rocking Horses (strangely enough), and there's a DVD by him as well. I bought a copy of the book from ebay. There are also books by Margaret Spencer but I haven't read any of those. There are copies of both on ebay at the moment. I must have downloaded from the web at least a dozen free plans with varying levels of detail and difficulty. Again it's a 'one of these days' project.

K

VanTheMainMan":1eo5mgkw said:
Hi Bugbear - Thanks for your reply, it will def be the simple one for now. That is a very nice one you have there, did you make one?

Just did a simple google image search, two words, rocking horse

BugBear

plans obviously vary in quality. I have the book mentioned and if making the 2nd of bugbears pictures, it would be very useful. I would expect that you would need more than just plans.

On the 1st of bugbears pictures, I think that you could make something using just the plans, although the book is useful for this type of build too.

VanTheMainMan":3ii4l1im said:
Yes, and he rides it everyday, waving his little sword!

Jacob":1u9q1b4k said:
VanTheMainMan":1u9q1b4k said:

Be quiet Butler, the grown ups are talking.

BugBear

Rocking horse plans are very common, what I want to see is plans for that rare rocking horse related substance :wink:

VanTheMainMan":myxfpp30 said:
Blackrodd - That is the one I'm in the process of buying plans for. Busy with my paypal account.

I wonder, Would that be "GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE" or "FOOLS NEVER DIFFER"?
Regards Rodders

bugbear":11lkwsw2 said:
Jacob":11lkwsw2 said:
VanTheMainMan":11lkwsw2 said:

Be quiet Butler, the grown ups are talking.

BugBear

Come on BB that was a quite witty repost
The grown up thing to do would have been to reply with a smiley and thank Jacob for his post.
We are all mates here surely?

Thanks for chipping in but no offence taken I thought BB was being vaguely witty in return.

Plans bought. Now for cutting out the templates and getting started, busy weekend ahead so wont be possible to get started as soon as I hoped but such is life. Have a great weekend all!!!

Latest posts

Back