Rob Lee's new plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wonder if the blades will be available in metric, since Imperial will not match the wood dimensions this side of the world.

whiteant":248e84o9 said:
I also wonder if the blades will be available in metric, since Imperial will not match the wood dimensions this side of the world.

Hi -

Asked this myself of the designer - and the reply was:

I looked into this a while ago and found two things.
One, metric size blades would be very close to the width
of the existing fractional blades - in fact in some cases would
actually have overlap with the toleranecs (i.e. 6 mm = .236",
8 mm = .315"). Secondly, there appears to be no standard metric plywood thicknesses that we could target.

Would be be glad to hear if we've missed the mark here....!

Cheers -

Rob

In my experience, the stated and actual thicknesses of plywood are quite variable, so whatever sizes the blades were made, some adjustment of the groove or thickness of the plywood would more than likely be necessary.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Any idea when the new plough will be available and how much, have had a look at the website and nothing to date? - Rob

Evergreen":81p81i69 said:
My 044C works just fine but like all planes of this type, has tearout problems with tricky grain. It'll be interesting to see how this new plough copes with a bit of dodgy grain.

Regards.

I don't normally worry too much about the cosmetics of tear out in the bottom of a groove...

The piece that fills the groove normally hide the bottom pretty well :)

BugBear

Paul Chapman":1u2q407h said:
In my experience, the stated and actual thicknesses of plywood are quite variable, so whatever sizes the blades were made, some adjustment of the groove or thickness of the plywood would more than likely be necessary.

Paul

Especially if the worker chooses to add an extra cosmetic veneer, or requires a sliding (as opposed to tight) fit etc.

This is why we need side rebate planes as well as plough planes...

BugBear (slope greaser)

woodbloke":2ewo3d0s said:
Any idea when the new plough will be available and how much, have had a look at the website and nothing to date?

On the Aussie forum, Rob Lee said "the plow is $199 US, and will be available Oct 1 (or sooner) - we're machining them now".

Paul

Paul Chapman":o4ic2qzs said:
woodbloke":o4ic2qzs said:
Any idea when the new plough will be available and how much, have had a look at the website and nothing to date?

On the Aussie forum, Rob Lee said "the plow is $199 US, and will be available Oct 1 (or sooner) - we're machining them now".

Paul

$199 Hmm! I suppose we will be paying £199 then :evil:

Waka":2jaqss3b said:
woodbloke":2jaqss3b said:
Any idea when the new plough will be available and how much, have had a look at the website and nothing to date? - Rob

Are we getting ichy wallet fingers Rob?
Waka - that new plough looks very tasty, trouble is I don't actually need one :cry: but it would look very 'guuuchi' on the 'Tool Wall' :D - Rob

woodbloke":2navq381 said:
Waka":2navq381 said:
woodbloke":2navq381 said:

Are we getting ichy wallet fingers Rob?
Waka - that new plough looks very tasty, trouble is I don't actually need one :cry: but it would look very 'guuuchi' on the 'Tool Wall' :D - Rob

Rob

Who said anything about needing one,you need to take a leaf out of Philly's book.

woodbloke":231uvyk5 said:

Hi -

Updating the website will still take a few days (a week?) - it's a long weekend here - and we've got to roll in our prices for the year...

On top of which - we have some major system changes (architecture) that will see us have limited system acess through the weekend. So - we really didn't want a whole lot of people flocking to see the new stuff just as we were taking the system down (just for short periods ).

Give it another day or so though... and Alf will be able to send you scans from her catalogue.... :wink: :shock: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":24mvul1y said:
woodbloke":24mvul1y said:

Give it another day or so though... and Alf will be able to send you scans from her catalogue.... :wink: :shock: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Would it be ok for Alf to post some scans on here, since they're in the mail anyway. :wink: :D

Alf? Are you listening? Curious people would love to see scans of the new stuff. :wink: :)

(tap . . . tap . . . tap . . . ) Is there any way to make this thing type any louder?

:p

Wow :shock: This is the first I heard that LV was selling Wenzloff saws. Congrats MikeW =D> Is it the set of Kenyon saws or is it a different line?

JesseM":kmmukkox said:
Wow :shock: This is the first I heard that LV was selling Wenzloff saws. Congrats MikeW =D> Is it the set of Kenyon saws or is it a different line?

New super-secret line. I've known about it for a bit but the catalog will by my first look at the saws and their particulars.

Latest posts

Back