Rob Cosman's online workshop Superb!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
http://robcosman.memberlodge.com/

I have just subscribed for the free month. The quantity of stuff there is staggering. As well as the inevitable sharpening training, tool reviews and a forum, there are half a dozen projects in the free month subscription all with up to 100 half hour well made videos showing construction from rough timber to finishing. They are made in real time.....basically no editing, so you see it as it's made. When you subscribe you get two half hour video's per week, on whatever is being made or covered at that time, plus full access to the archive of all that has been done to date. You have the choice of the Hand Tool Workshop or the Power Tool Workshop, or both. There's too much to list here, go and have a look.

It's like the Norm Abram shows but in far more detail.

I'm looking forward to having a more in depth look.

Hi DW. He has several workbenches one of which is like a piece of furniture made from curly maple and walnut I think. The tools are new looking but he has his own tool line so they would be.

Aside from the educational value I have found the hand tool projects motivational. Watching Rob spend many episodes flattening and thicknessing his parts prior to getting on with joinery has made me feel OK about this aspect of my woodwork. It can sometimes be such hard work that it's easy to convince myself that everyone else must be using machines to flatten and thickness.

I may be being a bit dumb here, but on the home page it says there is 2 choices, hand tool and hand & power tool combined.
However on the subscribe page, the choice is: Hand tool, Power tool, or hand and power tool.....

can any users shed light on this?

Its not cheap, but I must admit I am tempted.....

markturner":3lv1t2z3 said:
I may be being a bit dumb here, but on the home page it says there is 2 choices, hand tool and hand & power tool combined.
However on the subscribe page, the choice is: Hand tool, Power tool, or hand and power tool.....

If you look at the prices, I think, they reflect the 'fact' that there must be three choices.

Neil

Sure....so what's included in the "Power tool" section? No description anywhere.....

The one I would go for is the combined version, as much as I would like, I don't have the time to dimension stock by hand.......

markturner":1af99sxa said:

Hi you have the choice of handtools only or handtool/powertool workshop or you could have both

Update:
I've watched the first four half hour episodes (of 69), of the cherry table. It really is a video of the whole process, from rough sawn timber, through scrub planing, squaring up, marking out etc. It includes an honest mistake of marking out mortices on the wrong face, and coming back to a newly cut and planed leg 2 days later, only to find it's bent in 2 directions, and the salvaging process that follows.
It's good, I've picked up a couple of tips already. It's encouraging in itself that he lets you see him make simple mistakes that we all make, but wonder if it's because of our own inexperience. It's not! The only negative would be the time it would take up to justify spending the money. If your wife is a soap addict and you're not, then it's ideal.

That sample video made cutting dovetails look easy, I was impressed by the speed that the dovetail/tenon saw cut through the timber, but visiting the website selling the saws I was shocked at the prices! I don't ever see myself paying £225 for a tenon saw TBH!

Do people here actually shell out this sort of cash for hand tools? Afraid most of my hand tools are ones I acquired from my Grandfather or were bought second hand years ago.

I do understand why top quality tools are worth having but if I paid this sort of money for a hand tool I would be too scared to use them! If I remember correctly the most I have ever paid for a hand tool was around £70 for a Stanley Combination/plough plane (made in England) complete with all the cutters. ( Brand new and several years ago)

Yes, some people actually do pay that sort of money for a hand saw. Some people pay a lot of money for all sorts of things which others would consider 'junk'. I've yet to spend £100,000 on a car. . . but some folk do.
Thankfully, to cut dovetails you don't have to spend that kind of money or even Cosmans £225. You can buy a Japanese saw for less than £30 that is more than capable. Heck, you can buy a model makers saw for £10 that will do for material 1/2" and less. It comes with two blades!

How long did it take for your application for your 30 days trial to be approved? I applied a couple of days ago and am still awaiting approval, this only gives me access to what is available to non-members.

Ed Bray":3cz7iga0 said:
How long did it take for your application for your 30 days trial to be approved? I applied a couple of days ago and am still awaiting approval, this only gives me access to what is available to non-members.

I applied on Saturday and it took till mid day Monday.

buffalobill":1ulthjgg said:
markturner":1ulthjgg said:

Hi you have the choice of handtools only or handtool/powertool workshop or you could have both

Sorry, I am probably being pedantic here, but nowhere, in this thread or on Robs site does it mention a Powertools only version...there is hand tools, and hand tools and power tools combined on the home page. That's what I am talking about. But if you look here: http://robcosman.memberlodge.com/subscribe items 4 & 5 are for a "power tools only subscription"........

I am going to subscribe to the combined version, but have no idea when I will get time to watch...Can you download the films? I am going on holiday to the wilds of rural Sweden in a couple of weeks and will nothing much else to do while I sit around.........

markturner":7ur7jmqb said:
buffalobill":7ur7jmqb said:
markturner":7ur7jmqb said:

Sorry, I am probably being pedantic here, but nowhere, in this thread or on Robs site does it mention a Powertools only version...there is hand tools, and hand tools and power tools combined on the home page. That's what I am talking about. But if you look here: http://robcosman.memberlodge.com/subscribe items 4 & 5 are for a "power tools only subscription"........

I am going to subscribe to the combined version, but have no idea when I will get time to watch...Can you download the films? I am going on holiday to the wilds of rural Sweden in a couple of weeks and will nothing much else to do while I sit around.........

Items 4 & 5
COSMAN2.JPG

Attachments

• COSMAN2.JPG
    COSMAN2.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 100
Hi Grayorm, yes, that's the subscription page I was referring to and linked, which I had obviously seen...........clearly showing an option to purchase a "Power tools only" subscription.

The point I am making is that this option is not described anywhere on the site? The "hand tools only" version is quite clear and obvious and so is the combined version - it's making furniture using a mix of both. Am I to deduce from that then, that he has also done a set of films, about making furniture just using power tools and no hand tools? If so, I wonder why this option was not described in the same detail as the other two, or indeed referred to in any other way.......I also wonder why anyone would be interested in that..surely we all use a mixture of both, or the purists use just hand tools.........that was it really. Can you see what I meant now?

Back