Road cone for cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Pullen

Established Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a metalworking friend who has rolling eqpuipment to make cylinders but they are a bit big to make the small end of the mini cyclone at 2", but he suggested using a portion of a road cone and I am now thinking why not .
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work that I haven't thought of (apart from getting caught aquiring your cone of course) ?

I've seen even more by the side of the road :whistle:

yeah I had one chucked in my garden years ago by those people digging up the pavements for new gas mains or something.

Andy Pullen":yqu0d4rt said:
I was talking to a metalworking friend who has rolling eqpuipment to make cylinders but they are a bit big to make the small end of the mini cyclone at 2", but he suggested using a portion of a road cone and I am now thinking why not .
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work that I haven't thought of (apart from getting caught aquiring your cone of course) ?

Andy

I made my cone from a fire closure plate, They are only a couple of quid from your local plumbers mechant. The cylinder was made from a plastic paint pot and the inlet is rainwater pipe. If you want I will try and post a picture it works great.

Gary

Andy

Sorry for the delayed reply I have had a few problems with my PC.

I hope to ge the pictures sorted this weekend.

Andy

Sorry for the delay, didn't realise that you could not post pictures on the forum.

Got my son to help me set up a website (what would we do without cleaver kids) to post a couple of pictures of my mini cyclone and his big brother.

See what you think.

address

http://www.garyhamlett.piczo.com

Gary you can post photographs direct to the site without a web page.

See the sticky on how to post. Go to nothing to do with woodwork

Devon thanks for the help.

[ing] [/URL

view
[/url]

Further info on my website link if you need it. Thats the view inside of the air ramp on the mini if you are wondering what it was. I was so impressed with the mini cyclone I built him a big brother.

Gary

Right, firstly i am thick.

So can someone explain to me what this cyclone thing is and how does it work?

I'm guessing some kind of dust extractor, but what powers it?

How much vacuum will it pull in units of mercury?

I am after a powerfull vacuum, not for this application but for vacuum forming plastic.

Some info would be usefull to me right now.....

A cyclone is a method of separating the dust and heavier material from the airstream that is sucking it up.
A cyclone still need a 'sucker' perversly known as a blower by cyclone builders.
For vacuum forming I guess you need a reasonable vacuum at very low flow rates -just the opposite from a dust collector.

For your application try an old fridge compressor but do include a vacuum relief valve for safety and to release the part once formed.

HTH

Bob

Aha, i see said the blind man!

Yep, needs loads of suck and not much flow, tried the dust extractor, but it runs out of steam pretty quick.

Oh well, back to the original plan........

I have completed my first mini cyclone separator with air ramp etc and it is almost like witchcraft watching it work. The only thing is that it is effectively 'sealed for life' by rivets and silicon. Amazingly effective and I suppose I will be making some more now as ideas on refinements develop. Regards Andy.

Latest posts

Back