Rip saw - ryoba or western ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pekka Huhta":11q9uwc0 said:
Mine are all old stock, I got about 20 originally from an old school. A bit flimsy and many of them "junior sized", but otherwise pretty good.

Dieter Schmid has blades for them, both western and japanese style. A japanese blade in a western bow saw might be quite interesting to try.

http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.htm

Pekka

Thanks Pekka, you're a gent. My saw empire is nearly complete.

Table saws... hmm don't have room for one - am rennovating and trying to cut down on noise plus I drive a desk all day so need to hit something/saw something when I get back... I mean I could buy one but I guess they are a bit more than a hand saw and take up more room. Just about get away with running a router and a scms...

Anyone tried this ?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Hari ... -20286.htm

Anahiki beam saw.

Think I'll grab a few saws - is there a middle ground for buying old western saws ? I could spend say a tenner on eBay but I'd happily pay 'a bit more' for one from a shop that sells reconditioned old saws.... do these exist ? Or am I better off buying a few from eBay and then learning how to sharpen them.

Might go for the following:

++ replacement blade for broken tooth Dozuki (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Z-Sa ... -19709.htm) and maybe the wide blade option.

++ Anahiki beam saw (to see what it's like and hopefully not bust any teeth)

++ Ryoba saw. (I know the limitations but think it willbe useful to have around) Any links to specificlly good ones ? What about the APTC ones ? Any good?

++ Old western hand saw from ebay or a shop selling recon'd ones

++ A bow saw. Roberts & Lee sell them at Tilgear I noticed or someother online place.

Thanks
Ed

Hello Ed,

I'm a long way from APTC, and don't know their wares, but will offer a couple of thoughts because I do use Japanese saws.

That big Anahiki looks like an extremely useful saw to have. My experience has been that a big crosscut saw in the 400mm range is the very thing for cutting large boards to rough length before you start the planing/wood preparation sequence. My only reservation has to do with their description of the all-purpose toothing, which triggers a large dose of skepticism about tools that do multiple things. Nevertheless, I still think it's a good risk, if no one here has direct experience to offer on that saw.

You asked about APTC's ryoba offerings....I think the largest they offer is a 240mm ryoba. All saws are useful for something, but I think you will find the 240 a little too large for most joinery--excepting largish tenons--and too small for crosscutting boards to length, unless they are in the 3" to 4" width range. For crosscutting 6"+ boards to length, a 270 or 300mm saw is most useful. For joinery, most will find a rip dozuki most useful for dovetails and small tenons, and a 210 or 240 cross dozuki most useful for shoulder cuts on tenons. If you're good, you can make a 210mm ryoba do nearly all joinery cuts--if you're good. Gyokucho makes a 300mm ryoba that would be useful for crosscutting to length.

In the US, there are a couple of guys who recondition vintage western saws which they sell on ebay. But they have developed a following, so there's no bargain to be had, even before you pay for shipping from Oregon. For usable vintage western saws, one thought that comes to mind is a lady named ALF who used to post here, who might be able to point you to a good saw. May be worth an inquiry.

Wiley

Ed
I have the Axy beam saw - a big disappointment :(
I bought it hoping to do serious ripping - turns out the saw is really only suitable for pruning in the garden.
Stay away from this one,
Philly :D

I use a huge Mitsukawa anahiki for cutting beams for building a new workshop, which seems to work fine; but when I checked the Hida site to show you a photo, no luck, same on other sites. I think maybe something bad is happening in Japanese tool land, at least in their web sites. Perhaps you have to call.

I originally tried a 16-1/2" (6.5cm) Makita beam saw, which terrified me and didn't cut straight.

Years ago I used Japanese saw that was probably intended for pruning, for general sawing, cost about $40. It worked great, was very long and narrow with replaceable blades, cut fast. The only catch is that it was recommended by Kayoko of Misugi Designs, which is no more. It looks much like the second saw from the top, timber saw, that Tashiro of Seattle carries, at http://www.tashirohardware.com/blade.html

My best advice is to get a big western crosscut, there must be thousands of them available in the UK, then pay to have someone sharpen it if needed. You'll come out way ahead on the price/performance curve.

Pam

Latest posts

Back