Ring Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got engaged and the future wife wanted a place to keep her ring when she takes it off at night. I suggested her finger :D , but she insists on removing it at night. So I thought it would be an opportunity to use all those lovely shiney tools in the shed. Its my first proper project, ignoring the DIY stuff around the house, so will be interested in any comments.

Its made from black american walnut and its a 6cm cube. I used dovetails purely because I wanted this project to help me improve my accuracy (Also I don't think my accuracy is quite up to mitre joints just yet). The top and bottom are routed into groves in the sides. The cube was glued and then sawn in half, before the lining was added.

The finish is shellac and I used pumice to help fill the grain so I could get a nice smooth finish, then pastwax to finish off. Its by no means a mirror finish, but I'm pleased with the results.

Now I need to start on the bigger projects I've promised SHMBO.

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

Cheers

Darren

That is excellent, I know many people start woodworking by making boxes but for your first box that one is excellent.

Perhaps one day I might make one just like it for my swmbo, though on second thoughts it might be better to buy her an engagement ring first!!!! :lol:

Ummm.... PS ..... Me thinks I should have bought her one years ago when they were cheaper. :(

Very pleasant first proper piece - American Black Walnut is a really good timber to use for this type of job, cuts easily and doesn't present any real problems when finishing.......probably your SWIMBO will need a jewelry box next to keep all the rest of her trinkets in :lol: - Rob

Thanks for all the positive comments. Most appreciated. :D

Lord Nibbo wrote;

Perhaps one day I might make one just like it for my swmbo, though on second thoughts it might be better to buy her an engagement ring first!!!!

Ummm.... PS ..... Me thinks I should have bought her one years ago when they were cheaper.

Tell me about it. If only I could spend the wedding budget on tools :cry:

Waka wrote;

Did you cut the dovetails by hand, if so you've done an excellent job of them.

All done by hand.. I too was quite surprised by the results. However for those not so tight fitting ones.. its amazing what you can do with sawdust and PVA :wink:

My next task is an Oak console table. Slightly more substantial, and I'll try and do some WIP pictures. However don't hold your breath, it might be while before I get it finished. I can only seem to fit in about a days work each weekend.

Nice work Darren.
Is it symetrical ?
Just thinking that the box would look good with the dovetails on opposing faces.

Chris.

Hello Chris,

Not sure exactly what you mean. Each side has either pins or tails on it, so opposing faces of the box are identical. Adjacent faces are different.

But I think you are suggesting that each face should have a pin on one side and a tail on the other. Hadn't thought of that. I can see now that you would be able to be place the lid in any of the 4 orientations and still have matching details as apposed to only 2 at the moment. I like the idea! :D

You learn sumut new everyday.

Cheers

Darren

Darren,
Congratulations on your engagement and your excellent ring box - I won't show my Missus as I can't make something like that and she'll be jealous as hell!
(If she see it inadvertantly, you may have your first commission)
Greg

Latest posts

Back