Rifflers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Who uses rifflers to get into those little places that sandpaper can't reach?

If so are you using the expensive ones from Logier, Aurio of the cheapys from Axminster?

I do - I bought some from CHT a few years ago when Auriou had gone bust and they were selling them off with big discounts.
They are very good but if Liogiers are cheaper I would go for them?

Rod

I had never heard of these before, so looked them up on google........... they look like something a dentist would use! So far I have only used sharpened lolly sticks with sandpaper stuck on them, metal files and bits of sandpaper wrapped around artists' brush handles, so these look like they might be a useful addition to my armoury :)

i tend to use ladies finger nail boards for small places, cut down these can prove very useful, but mainly use either straight forward folded sandpaper, or a miniature file set..

I had a set of diamond ones as a part of a £7.50 set of forty files (or something like that) and they were surprisingly good. I know from using jewellers files that the best are going to be (prohibitively) expensive, but there's a trade off between what you pay and what you use them for - if you're using something for hours on end, bite the bullet and pay the money, if not .......only you know.

I bought mine from a motor factors - files, needle files, rifflers and rasps - so cheap as to be throw away, really.

Phil.

TH
Thanks for the input. There are certainly some good suggestion there, I never thought of those ladies files, my other half has loads hanging around the house.

The really top class rifflers are really expensive, and as is said if you are using them for hours on end, then you moght be able to justify the cost.

Post Christmas browsing is called for.

Only you can choose, but needle files and the various forms of sandpaper cut very slowly and soon get clogged up on wood.
Hand Stitched rifflers (and rasps) are in a league of their own - they cut very fast and leave a very nice finish.

Rod

Have heard rifflers been talked about over the years at various times but never had any reasons to use them ,( up to now ) it seems so could kind person please enlighten me , Thank you . :oops: :oops:

Harbo":2gibfzyz said:
Only you can choose, but needle files and the various forms of sandpaper cut very slowly and soon get clogged up on wood.
Hand Stitched rifflers (and rasps) are in a league of their own - they cut very fast and leave a very nice finish.

Rod

Rod

You are correct in everything you say, I've been looking at the Liogiers still pricey but well worth the money. So ,post Christmas the order will be going in.
I think there is also some merit in the other suggestions and have already tried a couple. Remember its not for removing shed loads of wood, just a little clean up form the scroll saw.

Thanks Waka, checked out the link ,and emailed them for a quote . I explained what I wanted them for and they recommended 4 files which they felt would be best for me .
The total cost inc. postage = 235 euro, about £190.00 . :shock: :shock: I have read of forum members in France complaining about high prices but that is unreal .
Needless to say Santa wont have room in his bag . :cry: :cry:

Have a look at Alec Tiranti - they have a reasonable range , some cheap, some hand cut
Matt

Back