Richard kell Honing guide- buying direct

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
So, i joined this forum a little while back, and have been on the dreaded 'slope' ever since.

My first buy was a Lie nielsen no4 smoothing plane, closely followed by a LN 041 shoulder plane. My job involves me going on site to fit what ever i make in the workshop, so then decided i needed a nice set of chisels to keep razor sharp in the workshop. This led me to buying the set of 12 Ashley Iles Bevel Edged chisels.

I sharpened up the 2 planes and used them immediately after they arrived, i was very happy with them- alot different to using my old record 04 smoother and 073 shoulder plane.
For my chisels i thought i'd try something a little different and use a honing guide on them. After my initial stage of learning my apprenticeship my old honing guide was binned and everything was done freehand.
I searched on the internet and found the Richard Kell honing guide. It seemed to tick all the boxs so i went on his website and ordered the no2 honing guide.
I placed the order on Sunday the 22nd of November, expecting it to be with me sometime in the week. No parcel arrived that week so i just imagined it would be there the following week. Friday came round (4th December) and still no honing guide. Meanwhile I've had my nice new chisels looking at me for the last 2 weeks and i was getting rather twitchy about giving them a whirl ! :) I decided i should ring up just to check everything was o.k with my order (o.k, to try and settle me)

The phone conversation left me completely baffled :? I've got to say from the start, the chap i spoke to was completely polite, seemed very sincere etc etc. He asked when i placed the order and i told him 'around 2 weeks ago' The next question he asked was 'did you place the order online' so i replied 'Yup on the 22nd etc etc' It was at this point i began to feel very lost. The reply was something along the lines of 'well i haven't checked my email in the last month or so' then followed by 'People spend far too much time on the internet, it can get addictive, so i don't spend as much time on it as i use to'

So fair enough, if thats what he believes then he's entitled to his opinion. But...... If he's selling something and taking immediate payment for it, surely he should be checking his email more regularly than every couple of months ? Think he could sense i was getting a little miffed, as he said he would put in a bevel gauge foc for the delay- so that was a pleasant surprise!

Phew, rant over :oops:

Its now the following Friday and still no sign of my honing guide. I dont know whether its the excitement of wanting to use my new chisels or just that i'm being impatient. Has anyone else bought any thing directly from him? whats your advice? Should i try another phone call or leave it a few more days?

Haven't dealt with him myself but sounds like he fits into the 'Rutlands' style trader. It's such a shame that people like this are trading on the internet (or trading at all). If he can't get a small honing guide to you in a week then I wouldn't bother with him. Get your money back from paypal. Even if you get your kit you'll have problems dealing with him if anything goes wrong with it.

If you really want the honing guide can you get it from anybody else apart from him directly?

Dave

The person you spoke to was more than likely Richard Kell himself and in no way his he an "Internet Rogue"!
He is a one man band "traditional" Master Craftsman who has not really caught up with the modern internet world - (Ray Iles is another).
I bought a II from him a few years ago and had to be patient.
I am sure Richard will not rip you off and if you are getting a freebie bevel gauge that's a fantastic bonus.
For my type III I bought from Workshop Heaven - arrived in 24hrs.

Rod

I ordered some stuff from him online last year as part of my secret santa, took a few weeks to arrive but it was all fine. There was a short article on him in F&C a couple of years ago and as Harbo says, he is a one man band engineer/craftsman who makes good products.

You only have to look at the number of Kell honing guide users on here to see that he is far from being a Rutlands

you can pick one of his guides up from a supplier probably on a next day delivery for little more than buying direct. I have spoken with him a few times myself and he is a nice guy, just not wrapped up in the internet as many of us are.

I believe he has a third party taking the orders for him who pass the orders onto him, which causes the many delays.

If you need it in a hurry, order through a supplier like matthew at workshop heaven, who already have the stock, if you can wait order from him, but you'll have to wait.

Its worth it in the end though. His products really are a pleasure to use.

I've bought things direct from Richard Kell twice. Both times sending a cheque and order form, and both times got the item back by return of post. Very happy with his tools as well. Definitely a craftsman :)

Boz

Thanks for all your posts chaps. Im just going to sit on my hands for a couple more weeks and if it still isnt here give him another ring. I expect you all know what its like when you get a new toy/tool? You want to use it straight away :lol: even if you have no real need !
It was very clear on the phone he was as genuine as they come. The only thing that bothered me was that the tools were there to buy immediately (paypal) yet depending on when he bothered to check the email, may have meant a delay of up to 2 months. Perhaps if he were to have done away with taking card payments via the internet, a cheque would have given him immediate notice. After he told me the problems with the email, he kindly informed me that he had loads of the guides there (seemed like rubbing salt in the wound :lol: )
One of the reasons i ordered directly from him, is im a firm believer of looking after the little people. I was thinking that he'd have got more of the money himself, instead of another company taking there cut.

I'd agree with all that's been said about Richard Kell. I met Matthew earlier in the year who confirmed that he's a really genuine guy. I've got two of his products and I'm hoping to find a bit more under the Christmas tree in a couple of weeks - Rob

I've been a little negative about Roger Phebey's business model (from Woodworkers Workshop). I find it bizarre that he thinks the internet is 'not right for his business'. However, it works for him. He seems to be turning over enough to keep it going and is happy. I guess Richard is from the same school. But I do think it's down right rude of him to have not sent it after the telephone conversation. If you sell something, you have to deliver at least an ounce of customer service, no matter if you are a massive company like Rutlands or a one man craftsman genius type dude. (got bored at the end of that sentence) ;) :lol:

How does genuine guy translate into reputable dealer? I'm not commenting on his personality or his skills as a craftsman. What happens when something goes wrong with the delivery. Not through his own fault but you'll still only find out in another 2 weeks. Then you've got another 3 weeks before he sends out another.

Carry on waiting if you like but traders like this really annoy me.

Dave

DustyDave":3uigtki9 said:
How does genuine guy translate into reputable dealer? I'm not commenting on his personality or his skills as a craftsman. What happens when something goes wrong with the delivery. Not through his own fault but you'll still only find out in another 2 weeks. Then you've got another 3 weeks before he sends out another.

Carry on waiting if you like but traders like this really annoy me.

Dave

Couldn`t agree with you more, if he can`t be bothered to check his e-mails for a month, why the hell does he offer on line purchasing.

I`m not saying he`s not a nice guy producing good products, but his business acumen is definitely lacking.

Hands up, it's my fault.

If you could see the orders I have been bombarding Richard with over the last couple of months you would understand.

I'll have a word with him and if it's a stock problem I'd be happy to satisfy it immediately and he can just pop replacements in the next delivery.

wizer":m5dnot0u said:
If you sell something, you have to deliver at least an ounce of customer service, no matter if you are a massive company like Rutlands or a one man craftsman genius type dude. (got bored at the end of that sentence) ;) :lol:

Couldn't agree more - people who buy this sort of thing, they are buying a premium product and getting it a fraction cheaper or something isn't what is driving the buying decision.

It's the 21st century - suppliers like this, need to wake up. All it takes is someone else (and they will come along) who makes a product almost as good, but offer a damn site better customer service and they are out of business.

I currently have my fingers crossed to find a veritas honing jig under the xmas tree - was a toss up between that one and the Richard Kell.
I must admit I'm surprised that it's cheaper to by it direct (albeit only 50p or so). Normally distributors buy that many at a time that they get a much better price so it often works out considerably cheaper to buy from them instead of direct.

jlawrence":22zt4z8y said:
I currently have my fingers crossed to find a veritas honing jig under the xmas tree

Santa's got taste

Im pleased to say the parcel arrived this morning. Inside was the honing guide, along with the foc bevel gauge.

I've learnt my lesson this time. Balls to trying to support the little person. In future i'll buy from somebody with an established reputation (Axminster, Workshop Heaven to name a few) and hope they keep there side of the deal by realising i've actually placed an order, then posting it in good time. :wink:

Either way you're still supporting the 'little' person as they come from him somewhere down the line.
There are still a lot of businesses out there that simply don't get the internet.
Have computer, set up website, take orders, automatically print shipping tickets from orders, get product off shelf and put in suitable packaging, stick ticket on box, book courier, give to courier, done. If organised that should take 5 minutes tops.
I didn't think it was rocket science - but purhaps for some it is.
Of course it's a bit more awkward if you then have to build the stuff as well - but it ain't difficult. An hour or so in the evening to box up deliveries ready for the courier to pick up the next day. That's got to be one of the perks of going into this sort of business - until you're big enough to employ someone to do the bits you don't want to.

To be fair, by going via Workshop Heaven, your technically supporting two 'little men'. AFAIK Matthew is quite a small operation and his commitment to customer service is a million miles better than some other (rutlands) 'big boys'

Interestingly, most of my xmas list was from Matthew - can't wait to see how much of it turns up or how much I need to buy in the new year :)

Back