Review: Eurekazone Stuff...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the review - very comprehensive and nice pics. Are you serious about the above comment? I can see this system would be perfect for cutting 8x4 sheets, but what about cutting a 3ft length say of 8" wide wood into 2" strips?

Absolutely serious - you should have seen the cursing as I learned how to rout aluminium without an end mill... :roll: I'll post some pictures of the end result in due course.

What you are talking about Gidon, if I understand you correctly, is the issue of ripping a series of thin strips off a board that will quickly become narrower than the guide rails: that's where the clever clamping system scores:

100_1692cut.jpg

The above picture shows the underside, with the clamps holding a piece of wood to achieve just this sort of operation (a tapered cut, in this case). Not quite as quick as a sliding cross-cut sled, but perfectly 'do-able'. It can be set up for repeat cuts with an aditional accessory, which I don't have.

This link illustrates the full range of clamping options:

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/smartclamp.html

That said, it's all a compromise: to be brutally honest, the task you describe would be accomplished on my floor standing bandsaw, for choice. That's why I've got rid of the TS - it's definitely redundant with this system and a bandsaw. However, the above shows that it is perfectly feasible to make such cuts with it if one were 'on site'. If space is a primary concern, it's definitely a good option...

Thanks Shady - those clamps look nifty. I still think this looks a faff compared to using a table saw but maybe that's just me.
I'm not sure about the space argument - my table saw takes up maybe .5m x .5m and wheels out the way - you would still need an area to support those cuts with the EZ system. And for how I work I don't find the finish straight off the bandsaw even with a fine tooth blade even comparable to the table saw.
I still think the system looks really good - I'm just not sure it's quite a table saw replacement for most people. But I'm happy to be proved wrong :). And happy if it allows you to save some space.
Cheers
Gidon

No, you're right Gidon, it's a question of individual priorities: overall, however, it's indicative that I have felt able to trash the TS, and feel much, much safer when using this thing... For the price, I give it 9.5 out of 10...

I have to agree with Shady as I have the rail too and no longer have my TS in the workshop but I am adding to mine with both repeat arms, as I have the cabinet maker ( one repeat arm and the square).
If you start to look at the hole system ( for me at least ), it got me more floor space, which for me is much safer.

It may at the moment take a little longer to set up of what I need to do but I can do it safer with this system and with the bits I am adding, not much slower than a TS IMO :)
I understand your thinking but if you have a good look at the main site, at what it can do, I think it will answer more of your question :)
I also have two buildt in's to make soon and with my TS in the workshop, it would have been very hard to put one of them up with it in there ( TS )
One unit is just under 4 foot a cross and 8 Foot high.

If anyone is planning to buy one of these can I ask that they let me know.

I want to purchase some other parts for mine and the postal rates from the states is such that it makes it comparatively very expensive - but a combined order would not add such a large overhead delivery cost.

I am happy to co-ordinate bulk buys if anyone is interested.

Just PM me.

I know about him, but he does not display prices.

When I contacted him for a quote he said he had no stock and was thinking of dropping them because they were selling off their US site direct to UK customers then expecting him to deliver the product - which caused him problems because Dino did not charge import duty or vat to the customer, but he had to pay it on his stock so it was impossible to make any money - and was not stictly legal.

When I spoke to him last week and told him the prices Dino was charging he did not believe that the shipping could be so cheap (his words not mine) and he was going to talk to Dino and phone me back - but never did.

So I ordered mine direct and am waiting for it to arrive.

pewe":1wn6k43g said:
I know about him, but he does not display prices.

When I contacted him for a quote he said he had no stock and was thinking of dropping them because they were selling off their US site direct to UK customers then expecting him to deliver the product - which caused him problems because Dino did not charge import duty or vat to the customer, but he had to pay it on his stock so it was impossible to make any money - and was not stictly legal.

So I ordered mine direct and am waiting for it to arrive.

I contacted him too and was told the same thing and he also tried to get me to buy a Festool saw/guide but at that price it is just to much for me and I think more can be done with the EZ system ( that does not mean better, before an other war starts :roll: ) :)

I think that tools are very much like computers and software - you use what you feel comfortable with for the jobs you need to do.

The reason I went for the EZ system is its versatility and the extras that can be purchased.

I am about to build a completely new combined workshop and garage (55 sq m) out of 6 metre 6 x 2 'logs' (that I purchased with the double t&g edges already cut) and I have made up a jig for use with a router and the EZ system to cut all the interlocking joints (like the log cabins you can buy) so that I can cut the corners on 18 planks at once.

To do the job would have been a nightmare without the right tools - working with 6m lengths - and the EZ system fitted the bill perfectly.

I will post some details on the project in due course.

Back