Reversing the Record CL4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygc

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to run my CL4 in reverse for chair-making (using chair-making planes) - there's no point paying out over £700 for a turning head machine when I've already got a lathe. So I did (reverse it, not spend £700).

The CL4 as currently produced uses a Lenze SMD controller. The manual can be obtained from https://www.inverterdrive.com/file/Lenze-SMDL-Manual. The bit of the controller that matters here is this
Terminals.jpg

Terminal 20 (black wire) is the 12 V signal voltage. Terminal 28 (black wire) is the motor on connection. E1 to E3 are programmable. E1 is blue, E2 is brown, E3 is not connected. The switch wiring is here.
Original wiring.jpg

The top switch is the off button. That is a normally on/momentary off push switch. The lower switch is the start button. That is a normally off/momentary on push button. The black 12 V feed connects to both switches (orange sheathing) and is also connected to the black wire going back down to terminal 28.

So, the motor on connection 28 is permanently on. The live blue wire goes to E1 which is programmed to "TRIP set". When it goes low it triggers an error condition and the motor coats to a standstill. The normally off brown wire goes to E2 which is programmed to "TRIP reset". When it goes high the error condition is cancelled and the motor runs. Still with me?

Terminal E3 is not used. It can be programmed to set direction of rotation. Low gives clockwise, high gives counterclockwise. So that's what I did - changed configuration item CE3 from setting "3" (not used as not wired) to setting "4".

I didn't want to be able to go from forward to backward without the motor stopping, so I needed to wire it so that any change of direction also triggers the error.

Solution, a double pole 3 throw ON-OFF-ON switch.
Pole one outer terminals tied together. Disconnect blue wire from stop button. Connect stop button to pole one centre terminal. Connect pole one outer terminals to blue wire. Then either pressing the red button, or toggling through the centre OFF position triggers the "TRIP set" and the motor stops.
Stop rewired.jpg

White bell wire connected to switch terminal and return connected to blue in a single choc block.
Pole 2 used as a simple ON-OFF switch. 12 V feed taken from the back of the start button. That's the white wire next to the orange sleeve, there's plenty of room in the switch terminal.
Positive feed.jpg

So I ended up with this wiring on the back of the front panel:
Rewired.jpg

and this on the controller:
Connections.jpg

I fitted a bomb switch cover so that I only run the lathe backwards when I mean to - no switch accidentally left pointing upwards. Cost - £2.99 for the switch complete with cover, plus some bell wire and an old choc block I had knocking around.

Result, a lathe that goes backwards (and forwards).
Finished.jpg

Of course, I don't have a warranty any more. Ah well.....

Attachments

• Terminals.jpg
    Terminals.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 2,110
  • Original wiring.jpg
    Original wiring.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,109
  • Stop rewired.jpg
    Stop rewired.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 2,109
  • Positive feed.jpg
    Positive feed.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2,108
  • Rewired.jpg
    Rewired.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 2,106
  • Connections.jpg
    Connections.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2,106
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 2,107
Don't forget to fit a locking grub screw to any chucks and faceplates used, you don't want them unscrewing if you have a catch or heavy cut.

It looks as if you've made a good job there.

I quite often use reverse but you need to make sure your chuck'll stay on. Tailstock pressure can do this if you have no facility to lock the chuck on. My guessing is that your 3/4" x 16 TPI thread won't.

I must admit that it'd not occurred to me that the CL4 wouldn't be able to go backwards - every other inverter controlled lathe I know of will.

[I also should admit that I wasn't a great fan of Record lathes before and this hasn't done much to convince me otherwise.]

Jon

CHJ":1fk535yt said:
Don't forget to fit a locking grub screw to any chucks and faceplates used, you don't want them unscrewing if you have a catch or heavy cut.
Already done. There can be a fair load on a rounding plane. I've had the chair-making collet chuck fixed to the body of an Axminster screw chuck, with a locking screw to engage the register on the spindle. I may need to drill a small recess for the grub screw to engage sufficiently, but I'll see how it goes.

Circuit diagrams. Original circuit:
Original circuit.jpg

Revised circuit:
Revised circuit.jpg

Attachments

• Original circuit.jpg
    Original circuit.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,014
  • Revised circuit.jpg
    Revised circuit.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,014
My CL4 already goes in reverse, the previous owner must have paid to have it changed. There is no way to lock the chuck thou which makes me worried about using it for anything other than slow sanding :(

Nice job. You should also look in to wiring in an on/off foot switch as well. The location of the switches on the motor is the one dangerous feature of the CL4.

Designers often don't seem to be users. (Actually, that's true in all sorts of fields. :) ) I've a 28 -80 on which when the head is swiveled it is very awkward to reach the switch. I got over this by wiring the incoming power through two cable outlets, one right on the end for when I bore long holes, and one about 2/3s the way along the cabinet towards the motor so I can reach it easily no matter what. This wouldn't be easy on a CL4 on legs though.

Mark Hancock":35ueie4l said:
Nice job. You should also look in to wiring in an on/off foot switch as well. The location of the switches on the motor is the one dangerous feature of the CL4.
Yes, I do nearly all of my bowl turning with the head rotated. The switches are then very awkward to get at, especially when I've 15 kg or more of lumpy green wood going round.

Either that or a panic button would be an easy add-in, it just requires a remote normally-on push switch added into the line to E1, connected through a cable gland or socket in the controller box. I think a panic button in a magnetic box might be better than a foot switch for me. My lathe is on a Record stand, so there's plenty of places to attach a magnetic box.

This is going to cost a bit more than £2.99. :D

Hello all , I have followed andygc's instructions . The reverse works perfectly .

The programming of the inverter was at straight forward as setting your alarm clock . My reason for wanting reverse is to enhance sanding operations , and to make sanding more comfortable .
I can also use the lathe left handed when it suits me.

With the modification that required basic wiring skills , I dont understand why Record did not incorporate the reverse function in the design .

I have removed the switches and made a remote that I can move around . The control switches been mounted on top of the motor are in the wrong place for me . I didn't like reaching over the work to switch the motor off .

Back