reversible clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a reversible clamp - e one that pushes out to fix a tight dishwasher door.

It needs to be 600mm wide at least. Can you recommend one or a set of four?

The Record (Irwin) single handed clamps are reversible, and quite cheap.

Personally, I would use a (carefully cut to length) wooden bar,say 1 1/2" square. Put softening planks on each side, and insert the lath. The lath should need to be slightly diagonal.

As you slide the end of the lath down to become horizontal, outward force will be generated.

This system is used by Korean bowsaws to tension the blade.

BugBear

I don't really understand what you mean Bugbear but I like the sound of it!

selly":30aflpnj said:
I don't really understand what you mean Bugbear but I like the sound of it!

Consider a rectangle, with a bar across the middle, a bit like an 'H'.

Clearly (I hope) if you push one end of the bar up a bit, the bar will become loose, since if the bar is the right length to be a cross piece, it will be too short to be a diagonal-that-fits.

(When I say diagonal, I'm visualising more of a slope - say 3-4" difference in the height of the ends; not really a diagonal, but it's a handy word)

Now reverse this process;

Start with a diagonal-that-fits, and PUSH the end down. As it becomes a cross-piece-that's-too-big, I reckon you'll generate some useful force.

BugBear

You could always use good old bar cramp heads (I think incorrectly called 'sash cramp heads'), like these:

I have to admit at £15 not cheap, but reversible and very strong, and as long as you need them to be. I've got a drilled 6ft beech bar for those awkward jobs a sash cramp is too small for. I've used it for straightening up a door frame in the past (in 'expand' mode). The really good ones are similar to the Axminster ones, but have a round hole behind the angled slot as a drilling template. I can't find them any more - Tilgear used to carry them, IIRC. The Axminster ones are second best, and the ones with just a hole are pretty useless, as they don't stay square when force is applied.

HTH,

E.
(but Bugbear's idea is better, TBH)

Just figured what to do doh!

I have some t bar clamps and heads but they won't reverse. I can however take off the clamp heads and feed a piece of thin wood or metal into them as a replacement and reverse like that.

thanks

selly":1s7aq94r said:
Just figured what to do doh!

I have some t bar clamps and heads but they won't reverse. I can however take off the clamp heads and feed a piece of thin wood or metal into them as a replacement and reverse like that.

thanks

What - sticks too low tech for ya' :lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear

nope, just don't quite understand what you mean!

So rather than get it wrong I better stick to clamps!

thanks though!

Back