Reverse-bevel gouge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I not looking in the right places?

Just been carving the legs for a shaker-type pedestal table - having done the dovetails I was trying to fit the leg to the curved pedestal. Using my AI carving gouges realised I wanted a tool with a sharp flat convex external surface and the bevel on the concave internal face ...

I haven't got one, and looking around web sites I'm not finding these in the obvious places ... unless I'm just not looking ...

I think what you are describing is not a different tool, it's a different way of sharpening. For many sorts of carving cuts you need a bevel on both sides of the blade, so your cut can be curved. But it's something you define and maintain on the tool yourself.

Ah, you're looking for an in-canel firmer gouge. Um, such as... these. No idea if they're any good, as mine are all old 'uns. Very useful tool and a puzzlement to me as to why they're not more readily available. Sure, you could regrind an out-cannel, but crumbs, what a fuss and waste of steel.

ETA: Scribing. That's the word I couldn't put my finger on. Thanks, Rob.

I think Rob's right - if when you wrote 'sharp flat convex external surface' you meant 'straight along the length, but curved across the width'. Like this:

gouge.paring.s.jpg

Thanks everyone - now I know I'm looking for an in-canal gouge, I've searched and found a few options ... and for my own sake went back to various sites selling under titles like "carving tools" and "chisels" and didn't find them listed there, so at least I wasn't being stupid!

Alf":3vtb7iqb said:
A sensible warning, but I was meaning the modern ones.

Yeah - I don't suppose there are that many gouges old enough to be laminated!

I'm pretty sure someone on OLDTOOLS ran into the issue though.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back