Quantcast

Revealing the wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to woodworking and I'm planning on doing some live edge tables. My issue is I don't have enough experience reading wood grain so that I'm able to predict what kind of color will come out of a slab once it's finished. As I'm meandering through the local mill is there anything acceptable I can do to the slabs that will reveal their finished coloring? I know you can wet a slab and bring out it's color but I hardly think you should do that to one that's already been dried. Or maybe brush on a little sanding sealer...but that'd probably be frowned upon.

Any suggestions?

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Think the standard way is spit on your finger and wipe it on the wood, or is that just me?

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
Any decent timber supplier will let you run a few strokes of a (your) plane over a sawn board and wet it to see the grain pop.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Myfordman":i22p3pxx said:
Any decent timber supplier will let you run a few strokes of a (your) plane over a sawn board and wet it to see the grain pop.
So you do use the No.4 occasionally Bob :lol: :lol: - Rob

sunnybob

software developers nemesis
Reaction score
white spirit on a rag. it evaporates after a couple minutes at most. gives you exactly what a gloss varnish will be.