Returning after a bit of Absence ! ( Ash Box )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Established Member
Reaction score
Siorrachd Obar Dheathain , ALBA & Now Botesd
Hello Folks !
I've not been 'on' for a while -- or indeed turning for a while either.. much to my dismay... I've taken on a fairly monumental task, employment wise, and it sends me all over Europe, or when I'm back - involves 12 / 14 hour days ( this is short-term, and the end of that is now in sight, thank goodness ! ) ... so 'shed time' has been almost impossible .

However, did manage out to the lathe yesterday, and started to try to recover what little ability I'd learnt before - and most importantly, enjoyed myself !
Managed an Ash Box ( See below ).
I'm not sure about the finial, but i do like the Ebonised / Natural effect on the Ash.. will try and develop that a little, as time starts to 're-allow' !

Anyways.. hope everyone's thriving and in the rudest of health...
I'd been missing you all !
Take care & all the best..

Alun :D 8)

You have started back in well up the slope curve Jenx, glad you are managing to keep on top of the major new work load. (you said you could do it :p )

Find it difficult to critique such pieces as I have little personal experience of such and they are somewhat outside my sphere of appreciation.

Only relevant comment I can make is that you are maintaining a good finish standard and given the caveat of the previous paras' the upper 'finial' looks a little heavy perhaps.

AHah, you wiley old fox, you have been away on turning lessons by the look of it .

Nice piece and looks good coloring looks fine and the final suits IMO. Good you are back and in one piece , take it easy ,glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the lathe . REgards Boysie

Really like the final Alun, nice to see continuity throughout the design/ form. Look forward to seeing what you pull out the hat next, with work becoming less of a hindrance. :)

Ah
Been wondering what to have a go at this afternoon Alun, you`ve sorted that for me :lol: Got a length of 3x3 Ash just asking to be made into boxes now have to try and make it as good as yours :lol:
Steve

Great to hear from you Alun :D
I like the box upto the lid part of the finial,but from their on it does look too heavy,but who cares just good to see you back at the lathe and turning :D

Do we know you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome back Jenx, good to see you posting again mate 8)

Nice little box you've made 8) The finial does look a bit heavy but as you say the black looks good with the Ash and I'm sure you will develop the idea as you said(its a very good one). Anyway if you enjoyed your time on the lathe thats what really counts :D

JT

Hi Jenx

Good your back. You have already mentioned that you do not like the finial an the comments above.

You have a nice shape to the box and the positive to the finial is that you have included a several beads that emulate the shape of the box.

This is well thought out as everything within a piece should in some way relate back to the next, even if it is in the most subtle of ways. So by including the same form as the box in the finial is a nice idea.

The box looks great, I hope when my 6 month new job phase is over I can get remotely close.

I would settle for where I was and build up.

I know it is slightly off topic, but it is amazing how quickly turning gets into your system. I may not have turned much since the new job started at the beginning of April, but I have a smile every time I walk in the garage and cant wait to turn the lathe on when I get the chance.

Absence does make the hear grow fonder!

Back