Replacing The Drive Belt on A Delta 22-560 Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarrjazz

Reaction score
The drive belt on my trusty Delta thicknesser has broken and needs to be replaced. I have found a few places where to get a replacement belt from but my problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I have got the old one out but I am guessing I might need a tool to fit the new one. Any advice on replacing the belt would be appreciated as would any recommendations as to where to get the replacement from.

Cheers.

Zarrjazz":3khirffs said:
The drive belt on my trusty Delta thicknesser has broken and needs to be replaced. I have found a few places where to get a replacement belt from but my problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I have got the old one out but I am guessing I might need a tool to fit the new one. Any advice on replacing the belt would be appreciated as would any recommendations as to where to get the replacement from.

Cheers.
I would have thought a company like delta would tell you how in the manual? I have a Ridgid, and the manual is pretty comprehensive with things like that.

Brad

wrightclan":3enwwd0q said:
Zarrjazz":3enwwd0q said:

Cheers.
I would have thought a company like delta would tell you how in the manual? I have a Ridgid, and the manual is pretty comprehensive with things like that.

Brad

You would think so wouldn't you but if it's in there I cannot find it :D . Plenty of info about setup and maintenance but northing about replacing the drive belt.

You need to remove the silver nut securing the larger of the 2 pulleys:
Img_0003.jpg560RCD.jpg

It may need a sharp knock as it may have been secured with some type of thread lock (like Loctite etc). Slide the pulley off the keyway, mount the belt, apply some thread lock and tighten up again. I don't know what torque but "good and tight" should be ok. Whilst you have the 2 covers off maybe an idea to clean out all the chips and sawdust. Replace the covers and all should be well but check that the nut is secure after a few hours running.

Noel

Thanks for the reply and the picture. I have done what you suggested but I just cannot get the new belt on to the pulleys are there anymore tips you can give me?

There must be some way of adjusting the belt tension.
Does the motor mount in slotted holes ?

You might be able to loosen the boltsholding the motor at eh pulley end and remove the botles at the other end. This might allow the moter to tip and reduce the inter pulley spacing a little whilst fitting the belt.
Dont be tempted to lever the belt on over the pulley sheaves. You are likely to do damage in the process to the pulley and the motor shaft.

HTH

Bob

First thing to check is that the replacement belt is the correct size. If it's ok it's takes a wee bit of wriggling to get it on. Remove the big pulley as discussed and mount the belt on it, ensure that all the ribs are seated in the corresponding grooves. Next, remount the pulley, sliding it onto the keyway. Next the wriggling bit - using the handle of a spoon prise the belt onto the smaller pulley. A screwdriver is too hard and too sharp. Tighten the main pulley nut using a thread lock. Check that the two pulleys are co-planar, put the covers back on and you're away.

Noel

Still no luck so i'm beginning to think I have been supplied with the wrong size belt. These are the numbers on my belt:

140J
P24

Can someone quote the numbers on their belt so I can check.

Thanks.

P.S.

I can't check it against the old one as I threw it away before ordering the new one :( .

Hi sorry for taking so long to get back just checked the belt on my Delta 20.560 the markings are

140J
TOKUROPE
POLYV-BELT
STATIC DISSIPATING
OIL HEAT RESISTANT

It is the original belt and I have owned it for more than 5 years

These belts are specified by the section ie width and number of grooves in the pulley and the length of the belt measure in 0.1"

ie 140J is a 14" belt with size J ribs =0.092" per rib

Sometime the designation is followed by a number which is the number of ribs eg 140 j 10 has 10 ribs.

These belts are only available in 1" increments ie 140,150, 160 etc.

You should be able to wrap a tape measure to check the length around the pulleys allowing a bit extra for the thickness of the belt.

hope this helps

Bob

Latest posts

Back