Replacing or repairing cracked stair treads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to start a job on a few cracked stairs treads in an enclosed string staircase. (See attached photo.)

My question is whether I'm able to repair the treads rather than replace them? Would an epoxy resin do the job in this case? Or are the treads too far gone? I was thinking of screwing blocks to either side of the tread crack so I could clamp it up after filling with epoxy. (The stairs are going to be carpeted eventually, by the way.)

But if the treads are beyond repair, how would I go about removing them and then fitting news ones into the existing strings?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Karl

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 185
Unfortunately not - it's a flat, so the underside of the stairs isn't accessible through a cupboard - it's plasterboarded in on the flight below.

I would be concerned about just filling the cracks with epoxy as the dirt in the cracks could prevent adhesion. If they were routed out then maybe a strip of wood could be epoxied in with a good surface to glue to.

Routing out a channel sounds like a good idea, given how dirty the treads are. Great! Thanks for the advice.

If you can cut off the plasterboard and do it from underneath then do so. It might be a messier and longer job but the end result will be far superior. Failing this cut out the front of the tread and screw two supports to the stringer effectively supporting the remaining part of the tread which you have cut straight and extending the trenches that originally housed the tread. Cut a new piece of tread the depth you have removed and the width of the stairs plus the depth of one trench. This may need easing to locate it in to place. Slot it in and centralise it. Screw and glue in after providing a supporting/ joining piece of say 4x1 to the remaining part of the tread and another support piece behind the riser.
All the best
rob

Back