How can I put a bullnose on the edge of this oak tread?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the Router, and doing this simple job with a bearing guided bit might inspire you to do a few more things.
As to putting planes on there sides, it just jars when I see people setting them down on the blade,,looks so amateurish even though clearly its not!

Well, that's me been doing it wrong for, like forever.

I maintain that if you put it down on a clean wooden bench, it will no more dull the edge than putting it on the piece of wood which you are about to plane.
You're not wrong Adam, but it's putting it down on the unseen floorboard nail that scratches the sole, (seen that happen,) the unnoticed wet patch that starts rusting the sole after the plane is put away. I'm all for prevention over cure.😁

Floors!!

One doesn't do floors.
Unless it is a carved relief map of the lake district and is then to be covered in resin

1621935352346.png

I did try a router, but it was too aggressive, too wobbly, not quite the right profile, and difficult to get a smooth entry and exit (definitely due to my router skills or lack thereof, but also because my lidl router wobbles like jelly)

So I went for the plane in the end and am really happy with the results. Thanks for all your help.

I've now gained:
* a plane (pinched from my dad and restored with a fair amount of elbow grease)
* some improved planing skills (who knew that holding it at a skew helped so much?)
* better sharpening skills.

I've now lost:
* a few hours falling down a Paul Sellers Youtube rabbit hole.

Well, that's me been doing it wrong for, like forever.

I maintain that if you put it down on a clean wooden bench, it will no more dull the edge than putting it on the piece of wood which you are about to plane.
Me too. I think it's a hang up from the days when benches were made of stone and tools with flints - not easy to sharpen by all accounts, as the honing jig had not been invented. Hence the fear of being "caught knapping".

You're not wrong Adam, but it's putting it down on the unseen floorboard nail that scratches the sole, (seen that happen,) the unnoticed wet patch that starts rusting the sole after the plane is put away. I'm all for prevention over cure.😁
Scratching the sole will have zero effect on using a plane. Might affect resale value if it's a posh one but thats all.
All mine are scratched to burgary.

It’s funny that what you are taught becomes law. I was taught in college to lay a plane on its side and did so all the years I was on the tools. Having got back into woodworking I have found that sole down seems to be the done thing, I can see an argument for both but it seems on the side is imprinted now and I do it with out thinking.

In woodwork class, my teacher told me never to put a plane down on its base to avoid blunting the edge. I've been lying them down like it's some kind of religion for a few decades. Clearly not as important as I was led to believe.
I was taught to have a plane pad on the bench (a bit of plywood with an old offcut of carpet glued to it with Evostik) and put the plane on that. Drop it on its' side and you can sometimes inadvertently alter the lateral setting. But there are "big endians" with different beliefs...

Out on site I invariably lay a plane on its' side, though...

As for approach I tend to bullnose (treads and window boards) with either a block plane (chamfers, then facets between the chsmfers then finish) or a spokeshave. The shave is faster. Routers are all very well, but for a one off they are slow and the bearing needs a flatvto run against, so you can never really produce a proper bullnose with a bearing guided bit

Last edited:
Back