Replacement Motor for Kity 603

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

last year I bought a 2nd hand Kity 603 bandsaw, however last week the motor burned out. :( I've tried replacing the capacitor but it had no effect, so took it into a motor repair shop who said it would cost £140 to re-wire!

It's only a 1hp motor so they can't cost that much new can they? I've looked on eBay and there's a huge range, but not knowing motors I don't really know what to look for.

Can anyone advise on obtaining a replacement motor? or would you have the original repaired?

Kind Regards,
Chris

Theres sometimes a lot of work involved in changing a motor

whats your existing motor? foot mounted or flange? shaft dia and length?

sometimes you cant get a new one to match all those critiera

A motors going to be £100 ish new so I would have the old one repaired if theres a warrenty on it ( perhaps only 3 months)
lot less hassle than getting a new motor to fit mechanically

My 2 p worth

Ian

i can ask which rewinders we use at work. no idea on prices, but they get repeat business from us, so must do a decent job, and be local to Leeds.

ah, well it might be the same place. the place my motor is with is in Wakefield

KITY have a habit of using motors that are one frame size down on the standard size for the given horsepower. Additionally, they often use reduce shaft diameters.
By the time you have overcome the fitting problem and had the shaft machined down, I would expect that you will have spent more than the cost of the rewind.
The rewind price the OP quoted earlier is a good price based on my experience and I would go with that option.

Back