Replacement Mitre Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good quality replacement mitre gauge which will fit my table saw - Ryobi ETS 1825 (the one which collapses for ease of transportation). The mitre slot is not uniform in shape, having those little "guides" for the T profile of the supplied mitre gauge, which is pants.

Please, no suggestions to change the saw - I need a collapsing saw which can be taken on site when needed.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

What size are the mitre slots? If they are the standard 3/4" then most good mitre gauges Incra, Osbourne etc will fit. For the price (at around £106 imported from the US) the Osbourne EB3 is the best. If money is no object then one of the Incra's would be my choice.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

The mitre track is 19.16 mm wide according to my digital calipers.

But there are two sets of "guides" for the supplied mitre gauge, which has a T profile. This means that a replacement gauge which has a rectangular stock for the guide will not fit, as the "guides" will foul the entry.

I hope this makes sense - will try and post a pic tomorrow (picture speaks a thousand words and all).

From memory, all the mitre gauges you mention have a rectangular stock.

I could always try filing out the "guides", which would leave me with a rectangular track into which the new gauge could sit....

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,
i know exactly what you mean, i have a B&WHO site saw which has the same "T" shaped slot.
I bought a cheap 19mm router cutter and clamped a straight edge along the table and routed the slot out to suit.
you have to make sure you don't slip or stutter :wink:
A little fettling with a file to let it out to 3/4" and,
My incra now fits and works a treat, its on site at the minute or i would post a picture but i'm sure you know what i mean

Hi Gary

Cheers for that.

Did you have to increase the depth of your slot? I've just measured mine and it is only 1/4 inch deep. The Incra tracks (per Rutlands website) are 3/8 inch deep.

Cheers

Karl

Karl

The Incra and Osbornes are great.

I prefer the osborne as it is triangulated and solid and very flexible in adjustment - great on the table saw

I also have a Rockler for my router table which has more size adjustability for the slot - this was the cheapest high quality gauge I could find. I didn't buy the fence with mine and it was around £45 + P&P etc.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16382

Hi Karl,
Sorry i couldnt get back to you sooner, i was lucky enough that the slot was already around the same depth as the incra bar, so it was quite straight foward.
i would assume you wouldnt have enough meat on your mitre slot to rout it out deeper, if you have i would use a smaller cutter say 10mm and take light passes.
The only downside to that is the more passes you have to take the more chance you have of making a B***s of it.
It should be easy enough to get a replacement piece of 1/4 x 3/4 bar from an engineering supply and change it over.
HTH
Cheers,
Gary

Cheers for all your comments guys.

Gary - you are right - there isn't enough material left on the top to enable the correct depth groove to be routed.

Tony - I was hoping to get one of those - but it looks like it'll have to wait for my next tablesaw.

In the meantime, I have developed a cunning plan to make a sliding jig using the existing mitre slot and some 20mm plastic batten from b&q. Will post some pics later in the week when i've finished it. May prove useful to others in the same spot.

Cheers

Karl

So, finally got round to building the jig for the Ryobi.

Here is the problem:

e7a4ff8c.jpg

Those six bumps are designed to house the T track of the supplied mitre gauge. Unfortunately they also mean that an off the shelf quality mitre fence won't fit. So they had to go :twisted:

With a little bit of judicious filing and regular measurements with digital calipers, the channel was made a uniform width. Took about half an hour.

Then it was time to trim the white plastic which was to form the runner for my new jig. this was from B&Q - 20mm x 5mm. My Clifton No 7 did me proud in bringin this down to a suitable width - about 19.2mm.

e7a4ff79.jpg

You want a decent fit - not tight, but definitely no slop. Take it nice and easy - one shaving at a time.

Next up - a piece of 18mm mdf. I chose 30" wide by 24" deep. The runner was attached to the mdf, initially with Mitre Bond, and then with 5 screws from underneath.

e7a4ff67.jpg

The whole assembly was then passed through the blade (with the runner in the mitre slot obviously) to give a reference side. This was then used to attach the fence at 90 degrees.

e7a4ff5d.jpg

I was feeling a bit lazy, so didn't make the fence adjustable. Plus, this was the first time i'd made this jig, so wasn't sure if it was going to work! I think if I made it again, the fence would be from hardwood, and have some "play" in it to enable fine adjustments to be made.

Having said that, a test cut revealed that my jig has less than 1/64" error over a 21 1/2" piece. Quite good for the first attempt!

I am well chuffed with this jig. It is no Osborne/Incra, but only cost a few quid. It is useful for squaring up sheet materials/boards, cutting shoulders, repeatable crosscuts (using a suitable small fence on the rip fence) etc etc.

Cheers

Karl

looks good to me Karl, and a hell of a saving over the alternatives :wink: :D

Excellent Karl !!,
Plastic runner eh ?? never thought of that, nice one !!
I regularly use my home made panel cutting jig (made from ply and oak.)
I find it fantastic, Very accurate and easy to use
But most importantly you dont have to worry about dropping it !!
Well done mate. :wink:
Cheers
Gary.

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments. I'll be putting the jig to use over the next few days when trimming up for a kitchen install. Should save quite a bit of time squaring panels up etc.

Cheers

Karl

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments. I'll be putting the jig to use over the next few days when trimming up for a kitchen install. Should save quite a bit of time squaring panels up etc.

Cheers

Karl
I have same problem. Could you onload pics again please.

Back