Replacement irons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got an old Bailey no.5 1/2 jack plane (which was my Grandad's). It's definately me favourite plane. The iron needs replacing as it's getting close to the cap iron slot. The plane is a bit of a mish mash, unbranded iron (works well though) and the cap iron is a Record item.

So I want to get a new iron and cap iron, was considering getting both Hock items. Any recommendations, advice? I've read they are a striaght swap for the OE items, apart from some frog adjustment to cater for the extra width of the 2 iron's.

When I replaced the blades and cap irons on my Record planes with Clifton blades and two-piece cap irons, I needed longer screws for the blade/cap iron assembly and longer Y-levers, both of which Clifton supplied (free of charge).

You might also need to file the mouth of the plane to allow for the extra thickness. It all depends on the particular blade and cap iron you decide on.

Hope this helps

Paul

Double check and make sure of the width before you order, just in case it's one of the older 2 1/4" #5 1/2s. Odds are not, but but why make trouble for yourself? :)

Cheers, Alf

Scooby

I have the iron from a LN 5.5 in my stanley #6 and it was a straight fit with no filing etc. (just moved the frog back a bit).

I prefer my LN blades to my Hocks as they seem to hold an edge longer and are thicker which helps prevent chatter.

Maybe the LN will drop in if the width is the same for your 5.5 as the stanley #6.

Tony, LN would be my first choice as I've read alot of good things about their irons,etc. I can't seem to find any UK online places that sell just the iron's. The places I have seen sell the entire plane assembly and nothing else :?

Exercise extreme caution in fitting a blade intended for a L-N into a Stanley/Record etc. It's not for nothing that L-N offer blades specifically for planes other than their own - see here. If you have one about the place that you try and it's okay, well and good, but I don't think I'd buy one specifically for the purpose personally. If you do go that way, look under the listing for the particular plane model for replacement blades. Better to go to L-N direct for one of the thinner ones, IMO. Or get a Hock, Clifton, Japanese laminated or Ray Iles (in no particular order).

Cheers, Alf

Scooby

As I said, i bought a LN #5.5 bench plane blade and it fitted straight into my stanley #6 with only a frog move to accomodate the thicker blade.
Used the existing cap iron too.

LN_in_6.jpg

I purchased the blade from Axminster power tools in the UK as you can see here

pm me the size of your Stanley 5.5 blade including width and position of holes and I will compare to my LN blade

Latest posts

Back