Repairing bandsaw tires

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a larger bandsaw. I've found a used one, about 20-30 years old by a well known manufacturer. It's a 14" bandsaw with a "riser kit" installed from the factory. It looks well built, with parts in cast iron.

Two minuses:
1. It doesn't have a fence (according to the seller, it never had one). Not a big problem, as you can buy a kreg fence for it.

2. On the lower wheel, the rubber tyre is broken. The seller has been adviced to glue this back, as the rubber on old tires is much better than what's available today.

Is this advisable? As I've understood it, bandsaw tires are stretched and glued on. How would you glue on a tyre that's broken? You'd have to glue it on, then stretch it so the two ends meet again. Sounds difficult. Or is it?

The other tyre also looks a bit dry with tiny cracks.

I'm considering urethane tires. What would you recommend, and where would I order them within the EU?

I've seen this seller on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-URETHANE-BA ... 0651786481

But they appear to ship from the US. Which could mean expensive customs fees.

I bought a pair of those for a cheap ebay purchased Taiwanese copy of the delta bandsaw which I take on site. The original rubber tyres being perished

I cannot recommend them enough, they stretch over the wheels, need no adhesive and have never moved. They track excellently with the blade running constantly where it is positioned on the wheels

Mine came from the US and yes I had to pay import duty but even including this I feel I got a bargain

you will need the 14" wheel ones thou as the link appears to identify a three wheel saw like this one nu-tools-drive-belt-t36318.html

Latest posts

Back