Renew measuring marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very à la mode, but I believe that they're quite a price - I hope that you haggled for a healthy discount ...

Pete, I have relatively few solvents, pretty much only white spirits, alcohol and the usual assortment of household cleaning products . Thanks for the reminder to re-oil once clean, not something I did last time, which probably explains the mess the callipers are in now

Clean them in alcohol, then get some black paint and rub it into the marks, maybe with your thumb ! Then use the straight edge of a piece of card from a cereal packet or similar to wipe off any excess. Once the paint is dry get a hard pencil rubber or any similar hard square object, wrap it in some 1500 grit paper and rub over. If you want to preserve the patina then skip the last step and use a scotchbrite pad to gently remove any smears of paint left on the surface.

I would definitely give them a light coat of oil and save them as they are as your own keepsake. Yours are read as a real Vernier scale should be read and you don't see that much now. You can get yourself a nice new METAL Vernier calliper that will be just as accurate (but probably will not last as long as these.) Or they just might do! (y)

.... Yours are read as a real Vernier scale should be read and you don't see that much now....
You're right - I can't see the vernier scale on my trusty old set any more. ;)

I keep my "proper" verniers for the day when batteries are no longer available (I have a magnifying glass somewhere), but I don't think it has come out of the drawer more than twice in the last 10 years. Much as I hate things with disposable batteries, I have to admit, I do like my digital gauge. Read in a fraction of the time it takes to decide where the vernier scale is matching......
:D
Cheers,

Latest posts

Back