Removing startrite 352 table - what tools....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought a 352 Startrite. I want to transport it in my Skoda Octavia estate - I think it should fit. I have a trailer it will determinately fit in but would rather not use that. Anyway, thinking that I should remove the table first. What tools will I need to take with me and is this easy to do? Any help appreciated as it is a fair drive and I don't want to get there and think if only I had brought a 13mm thingy bob with me....

Cheers, BM.

Should be okay with a small socket set, or maybe even just an adjustable wrench, just a few bolts involved if I remember correctly, firstly removing the front rail that the fence slots onto (if there is a blade fitted that needs to be removed), and then I think it's just the one bolt through the bottom of the swivel bracket underneath the table and into the body of the saw.

Taking it off may not make much difference though as the motor protrudes behind the saw also, probably by a similar amount.

I don't think the assembled saw will be a problem for your car height wise when laid flat on it's front, possibly more a case of being too long and needing to be taken off the base/stand, but again that's easy enough again with just a few bolts.

They're good solid bits of kit, I'm sure you'll be pleased when it's all set up and running :)

Cheers, Paul

Older Startrite used Imperial nuts,bolts and Allen bolts
An adjustable might be prudent if you only have metric spanners
Matt

I bought a second hand 1997 351 about 5 years ago. All the bolts that I needed to undo to take the table, base and other bits and bobs off were either 10mm or 13mm. There should be a pressed steel double ended spanner hanging on the back of the machine to do this. However I always go to buy second hand tools with a good selection of sockets, spanners, allan keys WD40, adjustable wrenches/grips etc as you never know what you will find!

Also I got my 351 in the back of a Ford Focus, but the 351 has an 18" or so base unit that is detachable, which I don't think the 352 has.

Good luck, they are great bandsaws.

M

Well they will definitely fit in a Skoda Octavia Estate. That is how I moved mine.

Have sent you a PM

The table has 4 bolts and two roll pins holding it on. You will need a set of punches to push out the roll pins.

Also consider taking off the motor, this is very easy, and tin the table top and motor out you won't have too much difficulty lifting it with two people I to the back of your car,

The table on a 352 is held on by one nut for which you will need a 19mm flat open ended spanner as it can't be reached with a socket or an adjustable. A slim line ring spanner would do.
You will also need 13mm spanner of any sort, to open the gate to enable the table to be threaded past the blade.
The standard pressed steel spanner which comes with the machine will do both and is well worth having.
If you have another helper to lift you won't need to remove the table as it will lie quite well on it's back - with something under the top end to stop it rocking about, a box or some blocks etc. You could most likely do it on your on anyway.

Not sure what machine the others have been looking at!

Thanks for all the advice. Just looking at the picyures and realized that the thrust rod has been replaced with a bolt :( That does not bode well.......

I discovered this too late to phone ALT and see if they carry replacements and at what cost? Also I can see from the photos the setup is very poor so I am a little worried now. Anybody know if the thrust rods can still be sourced and at what cost. I am supposed to be collecting first thing tomorrow.

BM

I'm pretty sure they are available and can't imagine that it will be more than a few quid.

Cheers, Paul

Ok, tools in boot. Paul, I expect you are correct - think this is a common failure item so I expect ALT can sort me out. I expect I could make a replacement if I need to. A piece of tungsten carbide brazed onto a bar. I have oxy propane.

I have asked about the condition of the tyres and they say these are good. If the machine does not look good I will walk ( drive ) away (a long way). If that means negative ebay feedback then so be it. Too much money for a lemon.

I did ask about the condition of the machine before bidding and was told as was well so I won't feel bad.

BM

Back