Removing Glue from clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a naughty boy a let some glue dry up on my Bessies. Is there a simple way to get it all off? Or is it a case of scraping with my Blue Spruce chisels? ;)

That'll teach you to wax them first, next time!! :D

If it's on the plastic jaws (without knowing which Besseys you have) then, it should scrape off easily. If it's on the bar though, you may need to try white spirit or meths or something first, to soften it.

I suppose we should also ask - what glue is it? PVA should be fairly easy.

ah yes, it's the bars of the parallel clamps and mostly PVA\Titebond

All my clamps are caked in dried glue. After a while you stop noticing.

:wink:

If I was to come over all anal though and want to clean them I would use this

82982b70-0d9a-4438-bdf0-79341ee4ab4.jpg

I got one free with a pack of paint brushes and it has proved to be one of the most useful tools in my tote.

Indispensable!

Cheers
Brad

I take they're these Bessey things with corrugated bars? If they are then you've got a problem, I reckon you'd need to pick the dried glue out with a sharp pointy knife. If, on the other hand you were to use proper Record cramps :wink: :lol: with a smooth steel bar, the glue comes off dead easy with a cabinet scraper...the trick is to coat them with a thin smear of BLO and let it dry. Stops them going rusty as well - Rob

My technique to get glue out from between the little teeth on the bar is to use a wire brush wheel (copper or steel) either on my bench grinder or attached to my dremel or even my drill. (I have learned that the bars are MUCH harder than the wire bristles.) Just make sure you're wearing goggles when you do this! :shock:

wizer":dhj5kmb1 said:
I've been a naughty boy a let some glue dry up on my Bessies. Is there a simple way to get it all off? Or is it a case of scraping with my Blue Spruce chisels? ;)

Tom,

I think you need teaching a lesson. Send your glue spattered Besseys to me and go and buy some new clean ones.
When they get glue on them again, repeat the treatment.

:lol: :lol:

Bob

I was just going to say the same thing Bob! :lol: :lol:

I commandeer old bedspreads and sheets from the house.

I cover the bottom cramps over with a square of material before I glue up. The other advantage is an absence of glue/rust marks on the timber afterwards, especially with glued panels.

Although, I suppose Besseys don't rust.

John

:)

Wizzzer
just do what we do in the \north....
Scrap them and buy new!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikeeee

Back