Removing Bobbin Sleeves?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom K":xgmztoz1 said:
Where did you buy the replacements? Are you sure they are correct sizes?

Yep! Bought them as genuine Delta parts from a Delta dealer (Liverpool?) - sadly in quantity and they sit languishing in their box to this day...

However, I'll follow other recommendations and report back with any success.

Liam

9fingers":2w4ewdok said:
OPJ":2w4ewdok said:
I guess those Carroll sanders are the only other options then - might need a better pillar drill for that, though! :) Axminster sell some larger drum sanders for drills but there are a few negative reviews.

My idea was to emulate the Carroll design and make bobbins to fit to my SIP

Bob

I like this idea and will buy a set if you go ahead with it. I think the SIP/Charnwood/Record are all the same machine.

wizer":22j2ek23 said:
9fingers":22j2ek23 said:
OPJ":22j2ek23 said:
I guess those Carroll sanders are the only other options then - might need a better pillar drill for that, though! :) Axminster sell some larger drum sanders for drills but there are a few negative reviews.

My idea was to emulate the Carroll design and make bobbins to fit to my SIP

Bob

I like this idea and will buy a set if you go ahead with it. I think the SIP/Charnwood/Record are all the same machine.

Don't hold your breath Tom, I have a whole load of projects stacked up before I'll even be looking at this one! I find that when I'm on holiday I stack up a load of ideas that then take a while to filter though to the implementation stage.

Has anyone got a Carroll drum they would be prepared to lend me for detailed plagiarism? Postage cost covered both ways.

Bob

Kalimna":pem6fka6 said:
I too seem to have a problem with a the bobbins on a Jet sander. The larger rubber bobbin seems to have a considerable amount of 'wobble' to it - impossible to use without a juddering action.

I had the same trouble with ones of my bobbins (38mm, I think?) when I first bought mine. As it was new, Brimarc were happy to send me a replacement bobbin. But, I've since realised that it's not that bad - I think the nut on top was too tight, which was causing it to deflect, slightly. In all honesty, they don't need to be very tight. :)

katellwood":pem6fka6 said:
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/tips/archive/2010/03/08/cool-tip.aspx

Thanks for the link - this should help anyone struggling with the larger, rubber-sleeved bobbins.

Unfortunately, the smaller (16mm and less) ones are fitted directly over the steel spindle and there does appear to be a rust problem on mine at least. :( Might try soaking them in some Restore Rust Remover, later.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but rather than start a new one.....

The problem with the 'wobble' in the spindle has been traced to a locating pn on the metal axis revolving rubber sleeve and distorting it.

However, I cant find away to replace the sanding sleeve. The old, gunged up one was removed with the aid of a stanley knife, but the new one (an Axminster one, so shouldnt be a size problem) just wont slide beyond about halfway. I have tried cooling the rubber sleeve and warming the sanding sleeve to no effect. I even tried a small amount of oil, to no effect either.

Iwould be eternally grateful to any helpful suggestions from the massed experts out there!

Adam

Kalimna":p459z4j7 said:
I have tried cooling the rubber sleeve and warming the sanding sleeve to no effect.

Dry both (to get rid of the oil, then try a liberal sprinkling of talcum powder.

It probably won't help, but I've just successfully sorted daughter's car's boot-lid wiring loom with it - wires snapped at the hinge and replacements needed to be threaded through a very narrow rubber 'concertina'.

You never know...

Back