Removing Bobbin Sleeves?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone got any tips for removing bobbin sleeves from the Jet JBOS-5 spindles?

Bobbins larger than 16mm aren't a problem, where you remove a nut on top of the spindle and the sleeve slides off easily. On the smaller ones though (6mm, 12mm and 16mm), they're held in place with a small black clip:

4666224355_36d4da48a0.jpg

Even with the screw removed, it's as if they've been glued on!! :x

Just to show that there's nothing holding them on at the other end:

4666847440_d9d84bf567.jpg

I can't get them to budge. :( What I'd really like to to is to remove them and flip them 180° to use the un-used upper portion of the sleeves. So, I'd rather not resort to using a knife, if I can help it! :wink: (Then, there would also be the risk of damaging the rubber bobbin...)

Axminster have e-mailed me back (with an admission that these have never been easy to remove) and have suggested the use of "rolling dough" to grip the abrasive, while using a twisting motion to gradually ease the sleeve away. I might give this a go, if I can steal some from the kitchen...! :D

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

There must be someone out there who's done this before??? :)

Thanks,

Olly.

Take a clamp and clamp them with some rubber (Old bike tyre for instance) between the clamp and the bobbins and then twist them off?

Hi Olly I have the same problem, but I thought that because I had been sick for so long and not in the workshop that the lack of use may have caused it.
Let me know if you solve the problem please :wink:

Cheers

Mike

No idea if this will help but I would get the air line out and give the free end a good blast, the air might help to break the stickion between the sleeve and the spindle.

No idea if it'll work, but how about shoving it in the freezer over night to see if the inside shrinks enough to release it?

My Charnwood is the same. I have never been able to remove the loadins :(

I'd try heating them with a hot air gun to try and soften the glue a bit. Don't know if it will work but 'tis worth a go I think. Failing that perhaps start dunking it in various solvents assuming there aren't too many plastic parts.

wobblycogs":25fi1lnr said:
I'd try heating them with a hot air gun to try and soften the glue a bit. Don't know if it will work but 'tis worth a go I think. Failing that perhaps start dunking it in various solvents assuming there aren't too many plastic parts.

They aren't glued they are stuck in place with use.

Look at the options for what is holding them to the shaft: there's no mechanical fixing like a screw or clip (you've removed that), it's probably not a friction fit* since it's just laid on the surface of the shaft and it's certainly not magnetic. Therefore I can't think of anything other than some sort of adhesive. I'm not saying you glued it on though, I was thinking that the heat of sanding might have softend whatever they stick the grit to the paper with and that is what has caused it to become stuck to the shaft. Reheating it might soften it up enough to get the paper off.

* I suppose the paper could have shrunk on to the shaft but I struggle to believe this.

Coming at it from a different direction: can you put a block or a form under the work to lift it up to the unused part of the drum. At least then you wouldn't wast it, and you could then cut it off the core later with a clear conscience!

FWIW, I have the same problem with the tiny ones for my Proxxon/Dremel. They slide on OK, but are wedged solid by the time they are worn out.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I will try both heating and freezing them in time, just in case.

Eric, you're quite right - I could just add a false bed so that I'm using the upper portion of the bobbin (in fact, Argee did just this a few years ago :wink:). But, these will still have to come off anyway... :(

Last night, I started carefully peeling one of the sleeves away with a knife and noticed what looked like corrosion on the actual bobbin... It may have been dust; I won't bother to strip it off completely until I've bought some spare sleeves - but, that looks like the way I may have to go. A brief search on Google earlier bought up the same problem (in the US) with a different model of bobbin sander - corrosion, again (I think the smallest ones are fitted directly to a steel shaft, with no rubber bobbin?). So, before I put any new sleeves on, I'll have to clean them up and apply some kind of lubricant.

Oh, and for the Record - I e-mailed Data Power Tools to confirm and the Record Power bobbins are not compatible with the Jet. :( They're probably fit the SIP, Charnwood and others but, I still haven't been able to find a cheaper alternative to Axminster's £80 76mm bobbin. :x To add to that, Data weren't impressed with the Record machine or the bobbins at all - they've already replaced machine once and, apparently, these bobbins still "throw excessively"... :p

I wonder how much it would cost for someone to fabricate a 3in bobbin to fit the Jet machines?

OPJ":3pjmcec0 said:
I wonder how much it would cost for someone to fabricate a 3in bobbin to fit the Jet machines?

Olly, Whilst I'm amongst the first to suggest making parts for machines, these sand drums need a correctly moulded rubber sleeve both to give a degree of resilience for sanding and to expand under axial pressure to grip the sanding sleeve.
I think it would be a very difficult job to make these at home or in a general purpose workshop which is possibly why Jet can sell them at such high prices.

When i get round to it, I will possibly look at the Carroll type drum design for my SIP sander.

Incidentally, I use talcum power on the rubber spindles of my SIP once I had freed the originals when I bought it second hand and they now release with ease even after long periods of being tight.

Bob

I have the same problem (almost) with the Delta Boss sander - in my case small diameters are no problem - they slide off. The larger bobbins (> 1 inch) are solid. I have a box full of sleeves I can't use....

Tried heat, tried cold, tried cussing - nothing budges them!

Liam

Thanks, Bob. My other thought is to send Axminster a crafty e-mail and see whether you can purchase just the rubber sleeves and then get a steel spindle made up... :wink: I doubt it and it would probably be quite expensive, anyway.

I guess those Carroll sanders are the only other options then - might need a better pillar drill for that, though! :) Axminster sell some larger drum sanders for drills but there are a few negative reviews.

liamscanlan":1hcawo5t said:
I have the same problem (almost) with the Delta Boss sander - in my case small diameters are no problem - they slide off. The larger bobbins (> 1 inch) are solid. I have a box full of sleeves I can't use....

Tried heat, tried cold, tried cussing - nothing budges them!

Liam

I find if they aren't tightened enough they ride up in use so try fitting them on the sander and not overly tightening them.

Perhaps my post wasn't very clear. My apologies.

The (smaller) sleeves come off when I want to change them - the larger diameter sleeves are the ones that won't budge - so I cut them off (carefully!). Then I have the problem that I cannot fit the new (large diameter) sleeves, no matter what I do - heat, freeze, etc.

Sorry for not being more clear.
Liam

Where did you buy the replacements? Are you sure they are correct sizes?

I too seem to have a problem with a the bobbins on a Jet sander. The larger rubber bobbin seems to have a considerable amount of 'wobble' to it - impossible to use without a juddering action. I tried to take the sleeve off, but it wouldnt budge - though it did appear that the rubber part was squished in one plane. Could this be reversed, if it is indeed what has happened? (The only mechanism I could think of for this happening was being tightened up and not used for a long period of time - the machine was bought second hand)

Cheers,
Adam

.....still working on that rocking chair........

OPJ":2ulgdp39 said:
I guess those Carroll sanders are the only other options then - might need a better pillar drill for that, though! :) Axminster sell some larger drum sanders for drills but there are a few negative reviews.

My idea was to emulate the Carroll design and make bobbins to fit to my SIP

Bob

Latest posts

Back