Remote for shop extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people. Not sure if right thread, but I’m tired of walking across the room every time I want to turn on the chip extractor so I bought this little remote and a receiver that should be able to help me with this problem.

I intended to connect it directly to NVR and have it both ways - so I could switch it on manually, and also of the remote.

So I bought the right 2 way connectors and I’m ready to solder the ends etc.

However, I ran into a little problem. Can’t figure out what an extra white wire does in the NVR.

Does anyone know? Could anyone help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 6A872112-3443-4D30-A660-5A1713F16F97.jpeg
    6A872112-3443-4D30-A660-5A1713F16F97.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • C3B56E9B-766A-46E5-9348-8B58A3C9F739.jpeg
    C3B56E9B-766A-46E5-9348-8B58A3C9F739.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6E8FAB5B-DA5D-40B5-B463-2D15E8FCB5A4.jpeg
    6E8FAB5B-DA5D-40B5-B463-2D15E8FCB5A4.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 0
The white wires are probably to detect motor overload and unacceptable temperature rise.
What you are trying to achieve, Siggy, is not possible because you need to control the latching relay with your remote and the relay is buried in the sealed NVR unit.
The way to do it is to obtain a remote switch which will, in itself, act as an NVR (it looks as though the one you have is a simple on/off) and to bypass the unit NVR. The remote then becomes the sole method of control. The downside is that you will lose the overload protection.
Brian

The white wires are probably to detect motor overload and unacceptable temperature rise.
What you are trying to achieve, Siggy, is not possible because you need to control the latching relay with your remote and the relay is buried in the sealed NVR unit.
The way to do it is to obtain a remote switch which will, in itself, act as an NVR (it looks as though the one you have is a simple on/off) and to bypass the unit NVR. The remote then becomes the sole method of control. The downside is that you will lose the overload protection.
Brian
Hi Brian, thanks for your response.

My idea was that I’d technically bypass the nvr if I connect the wires directly to the terminals whilst not disconnecting it from the nvr. That would allow the receiver to act as a connector when activated in turn bypassing NVR.

Should be possible?

Hi Brian, thanks for your response.

My idea was that I’d technically bypass the nvr if I connect the wires directly to the terminals whilst not disconnecting it from the nvr. That would allow the receiver to act as a connector when activated in turn bypassing NVR.

Should be possible?
The video is exactly what to do, although the receiver needn't go inside the terminal box if it won't fit. Of course your remote WILL act as an NVR because it relies on mains availability to its relay, so if mains is lost it will turn off, ie, fail-safe
Brian

I just use a remote control plug in socket - available on Amazon etc. Works a treat and dead simple

I just use a remote control plug in socket - available on Amazon etc. Works a treat and dead simple
This ^^ :)

I have a set with four plug in sockets and two remotes, one remote I've velcroed to the lathe and the other to the bandsaw, so I can control the extraction, air filter, compressor etc from whichever machine I'm working at, they work a treat, not expensive either :)

Please be aware that there have been reports where remote switches have spuriously activated overnight, running the dust extractor for hours on end, causing it to overheat. (Probably more of an issue with a LVHP than HVLP extractor).
For this reason is important you isolate the unit when you leave the workshop, especially if you bypass any overheat protection that might be connected to those white wires.

Last edited:
Hi people. Not sure if right thread, but I’m tired of walking across the room every time I want to turn on the chip extractor so I bought this little remote and a receiver that should be able to help me with this problem.

I intended to connect it directly to NVR and have it both ways - so I could switch it on manually, and also of the remote.

So I bought the right 2 way connectors and I’m ready to solder the ends etc.

However, I ran into a little problem. Can’t figure out what an extra white wire does in the NVR.

Does anyone know? Could anyone help?

Thanks!
What is your version/interpretation of "NVR" to me that is a Network Video Recorder? Nowadays the use of abbreviated descriptors has gone too far to the point of, why not just use a few more keystrokes and stop being lazy? It may save the poster a few seconds but the reader wastes much more time guessing what is meant.

how
how would they work with a No Volt Release switch ? I'm thinking they would only work to switch it off

Have you seen this video? He's done something similar.

Thanks for this, it’s something similar, but instead of adding, he has completely replaced the switch with the receiver. What I want to do is just add to it. So since it’s working in his video, it’s dead simple to do it for me too.

Thanks!

This ^^ :)

I have a set with four plug in sockets and two remotes, one remote I've velcroed to the lathe and the other to the bandsaw, so I can control the extraction, air filter, compressor etc from whichever machine I'm working at, they work a treat, not expensive either :)
Every machine I have has NVR switch, which by default deactivates every time electricity is switched off.

What is your version/interpretation of "NVR" to me that is a Network Video Recorder? Nowadays the use of abbreviated descriptors has gone too far to the point of, why not just use a few more keystrokes and stop being lazy? It may save the poster a few seconds but the reader wastes much more time guessing what is meant.
Well, it’s not my interpretation. It’s quite widely known term for the No Volt Release switch, which controls the power to most, if not all machines in the workshop.

It could just be that the term NVR is also a popular and thus understood term nowadays. You’re judgement of someone being ‘lazy’ isn’t helpful and may only serve to isolate you.

What is your version/interpretation of "NVR" to me that is a Network Video Recorder?
Non-voluntary reaction?
However context is everything and in this case I think it fairly obvious it means No Volt Release (switch).

I’d thoroughly recommend one of these:

Tough Leads dust extractor remote control.

toughleads.co.uk.

VERY helpful and accommodating.

Able to cope with my own 3hp extractor in a shed hung on the outside of my workshop.

Just a quick update on this:

I’ve connected the receiver to the NVR switch and all works well, I’ve connected it in a way where I can still use the NVR manually or use the remote. See pictures, maybe it’s gonna be helpful for someone else.

Attachments

• 5E5A925C-1DA5-4CFA-A478-432A078DE7FA.jpeg
    5E5A925C-1DA5-4CFA-A478-432A078DE7FA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CF60F485-80B2-47C2-B3FC-88424705FEB7.jpeg
    CF60F485-80B2-47C2-B3FC-88424705FEB7.jpeg
    933 KB · Views: 0
  • A8D02088-FAA3-4DA7-B3AF-6F778099276C.jpeg
    A8D02088-FAA3-4DA7-B3AF-6F778099276C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That’s great. Works a treat - I’ve used exactly the same parts and set up in my workshop.
I bought extra remotes (4 total) and reprogrammed them all. I used Velcro to attach the remotes on machinery. The receiver and remotes have been in use for 3 years now with zero problems.
How much would this cost ‘off the shelf’ eh!

That’s great. Works a treat - I’ve used exactly the same parts and set up in my workshop.
I bought extra remotes (4 total) and reprogrammed them all. I used Velcro to attach the remotes on machinery. The receiver and remotes have been in use for 3 years now with zero problems.
How much would this cost ‘off the shelf’ eh!
That’s awesome! What sort of reprogramming did you need to do?

Back