Regrinding a round shafted skew chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at a tuition/demo today at the local club and the guy lent me a tool that was great for doing a row of small beads. 10mm round shaft, sharpened to a central point with three long flat faces. He sharpens it on a flat bed sander, but with his skill he can do it by hand.

I've found 2/3rds of such a tool in my gash tool pile (in the sawdust under the lathe!), ie it's sharpened as a skew. But because the shaft is round , there's no reference point to lock it up in a jig - any suggestions on how to regrind this to have three faces and to hold for sharpening in future.

Rob

If the point tool is what you're describing, have a bash at regrinding it freehand, it's not as hard as you may think!
You might waste a bit of steel, but you'll get there soon enough!

I ground an old tool to make one of these fairly recently, and it's a nice easy shape, as bevel angle and exact division of the 3 faces are not critical.

If you want it as perfect as possible, why not mark it out with a sharpie first?

OK guys, many thanks. Blister's found the tool, so that's a picture of it - the advantage of the narrow point is being able to make a deep definition of the bead edge, a bit like making a V with a skew.

So now it can be seen what I want. The problem is grinding, and maintaining, that shape. Wizer's suggested site doesn't really solve the problem of accurately grinding the three long faces.

My thinking at the moment is to grab the shaft in the metal working lathe chuck and with the indexing, grind three flats onto the handle end of the shaft to act as reference clamping points.

Rob

Find a hex nut that fits snugly over the diameter of rod you want to use, then drill and tap one face of the nut for a set screw to hold the nut in place on the shaft.

Use every other face on the nut for a reference on the grinders tool rest and you end up with a 3 face point.

Trevor

There speaks a real engineer - many thanks Trevor, that is the solution. Freehand thereafter possibly, but just getting the initial cut.

Many thanks
Rob

Back